Enhancement for mobile targets in 3.1

Rastar

I would like to know what version 3.1 will bring for the iOS and Android platforms. Its focus, as we know, is Linux and the new OpenGL4 renderer, but that won't run on mobile devices. Is it possible to say which of the graphics improvement will run on mobile as well?

As an example, the bug discussing project shadow performance http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/7617-projected-shadow-performance-not-physics/ was closed with a reference to the upcoming dynamic lighting. But will that be available on mobile? Would it run with an acceptable frame rate? If not, then that bug shouldn't have been closed because licensees for the mobile platforms would be stuck with a half-ready solution.

I'm not complaining or anything, I'd just like to know what to expect so I can plan accordingly.

as far as i know the update 3.1 is focusing on the Desktop platform including Linux support and there will be not much for mobile.

Since i also like to develop for mobile i can agree with you that mobile is really badly supported so far.

I still hope it is not completely abandoned and will get at least a bit of love after that.

There is much that would need improvement.

At the moment i think you need to abandon dynamic shadow. You could use a fake drop-shadow like in the first version of darkness awaits.

It's fine to use projected shadows, just be judicial in its use, like anything else. Android hardware is sort of all over the place, so your performance is highly dependent on what hardware you have.

Mobile is nearing the point where a fully dynamic light and shadows will run on high-end hardware, but it won't be in 3.1. Additionally, low-end devices wouldn't be any better at running this than they would at the projected shadows method.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

You must be kidding.

I had projected shadow enabled for only 1 model.

(A sphere) and the performance drop was huge even on my quad core desktop PC with an NVIDIA GTX 680.

of course it is not that important if the frame rate is 1000 or 100. I just got a Sony xperia Z which has definitely not a bad performance but the engine is just unusable slow with dynamic shadow.

It's a function of the surrounding geometry, not of the number of shadows. So it depends on what the surrounding scene looked like. That sounds like an extreme case, and I have not witnessed anything like that in anything I have run. I would be interested in seeing the scene and some numbers on the framerate reduction.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.