Pre-Purchase Questions - LeadWerks Engine 3

tvsori

Hello,

My project is around real-time 3D visualisation of data. Program should be written in C++ and should be cross-platform. So I probably will not use Leadwerks editor (may be I'm wrong?), but will generate all vertexes/textures and sometimes shaders in realtime, based on data. I almost believe Leadwerks is suitable for my needs, but "believe" is not suitable word when you select engine for several years of development.

I downloaded Windows trial version and tried to understand & test Leadwerks engine for my project, but from beginning was trapped :(

1. I have VS2012 (Actually I'm looking for 2013 because of C++11). For cross-platform development I try to keep source code as close as possible. On OSX I use XCode with C++11, Android has ndk 9 with gcc 4.8 (C++11). For Windows I use VS2012 (but with Intel C++ compiler which is almost C++11 compatible).

But I can't build CPPExample with VS2012. Looks like all libraries have dependency on VS2010 std library. I read in other post how to compile (by installing VS2010), but for me it could be only temporary solution. When VS2012 will be supported ? Or may be it's possible to remove dependencies ?

2. I need raw C++ example to test, modify and study. CPPExample in trial package consists of C++ starter and tons of resources. For my project I need only C++. Can somebody give me simple example or link to sample code with realtime shader/texture generation ?

3. I found programming forum closed for non licensed user. Why so ? How could I have technical answers during test time before purchase ?

The editor is currently available for windows and max. Linux is on the way for december.

You can ask any question you have in the general forum. The rest of the forum is protected to prevent piracy.

Use the command reference to view all commands and C++ samples.

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/

Sorry to post questions here, but looks line no other choice for non-members :(

OK, finally I decided to postpone VS2010/2012 incompatibility problem and successfully compiled CPPExample for OSX with XCode5.

Here are several questions:

1. I can build only 32bit executable. When I try to build 64bit I get many undefined symbols. Looks like Leadwerks libraries are ONLY 32bit. OSX & all apple hardware are 64bit for a long time. My project also should be 64bit. When I can expect 64bit version for OSX ? What about Windows/Linux ?

2. I have OSX 10.8.5 & Radeon 6770M, so it supports OpenGL Core up to 3.2/GLSL 1.5. But in output log I see:

Initializing OpenGL2 graphics driver...

Initializing OpenGL...

OpenGL version 210

GLSL version 120

Why engine initialise old version ? May be it uses compatibility profiler instead of core ? Can we avoid it ?

3. In log file I see several warnings.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'vertex_binormal' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute6' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute2' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'vertex_tangent' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute5' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute1' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute7' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute4' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute0' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'vertex_normal' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute3' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

Is it normal or it's bug/incompatibility ?

4. What limitation of trial version in case of raw C++ coding I should expect ?

Right now the renderer for the engine is the old version. Josh is working on the new renderer right now which will be in the next version which should be around Christmas time. The reason it's the old version is because of mobile and other low end devices. When it's all said and done your game will possibly be able to be played on a wide array of hardware with minimal work by us to support that functionality.

1. I can build only 32bit executable. When I try to build 64bit I get many undefined symbols. Looks like Leadwerks libraries are ONLY 32bit. OSX & all apple hardware are 64bit for a long time. My project also should be 64bit. When I can expect 64bit version for OSX ? What about Windows/Linux ?
At this time 32-bit library is provided. A 64-bit library will be provided in Leadwerks 3.1.

2. I have OSX 10.8.5 & Radeon 6770M, so it supports OpenGL Core up to 3.2/GLSL 1.5. But in output log I see:

Initializing OpenGL2 graphics driver...

Initializing OpenGL...

OpenGL version 210

GLSL version 120

Why engine initialise old version ? May be it uses compatibility profiler instead of core ? Can we avoid it ?

The engine presently is requesting the older OpenGL version for wider compatibility. Leadwerks 3.1 provides an OpenGL 4 renderer, which requires OSX Mavericks (which isn't out yet).

3. In log file I see several warnings.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'vertex_binormal' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute6' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute2' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'vertex_tangent' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute5' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute1' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute7' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute4' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute0' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'vertex_normal' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

WARNING: Could not find vertex shader attribute 'attribute3' to match BindAttributeLocation request.

Is it normal or it's bug/incompatibility ?

This is a weird case on Mac. There's no way to detect whether those attributes exist, and we always print out any info the GPU gives us, in case there is a warning the user cares about. Kind of a strange situation.

4. What limitation of trial version in case of raw C++ coding I should expect ?

It will stop working after 30 days, and it lacks some functionality.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.