Inspiration and ideas for games - where does yours come from?

karmacomposer

So here is something that is rarely talked about.

We can whine all day about the features of our engine and what we wished it had, but more importantly, where does the inspiration and ideas come from for the game project to begin with?

Other than clients paying you for a corporate game or advertising gimmick, the rest of game projects are likely personal projects.

So, where do those ideas come from?

I own at least 10 engines and languages capable of creating 2D and 3D games - which is DEFINITELY my main hobby - but my mind is an utter blank about what game to create, why create it, etc.

The only idea i've had is from almost 10 years ago. 10 years have past and I am no closer to creating the game than I was 10 years ago. Technology has vastly improved, my tools could not be better. I am more knowledgeable than I was a decade ago. I am a better programmer (mostly doing database, web work and mobile apps) than I was 10 years ago. My graphic design skills have vastly improved since then and my sound effect and music composing abilities are pro level. The only thing I cannot really do at this point is model objects in 3D very well. I can create levels with pre-made objects, but I cannot whip up my own.

So, technically, I could create a game with just me at the helm and some good model collections. But one thing is missing . . . the idea!

So, how can I get ideas? Yes, this is a personal and opinionated question and I am pretty sure there is little I can do other than playing other people's games to get an idea, but I do that already and NOTHING.

What kills me is that I am a VERY creative person who works in several creative fields on a daily basis. I have no shortage of ideas for my clients on their projects, web sites, music, etc. But, for myself, I am a blank.

What do you all do to get started on a game? Where does that inspiration come from?

Mike

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/michaelfelkercomposer

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Custom synths and sounds - http://www.supersynths.com

Hmmm, design is somewhat 'form & functionality' ... if you watch you tubes from design gurus its additional simply problem solving towards pleasure and punishment - the human body works that way so it seams to be a logic thing to adhere. However, making things too difficult and the punishment too severe will just annoy the majority of players.

My inspiration is mostly the dark and hideous place called childhood e.g.

Friday the 13th - a new beginning and a Commodore plus 4 game called 'Treasure Island' ...

but things might get to obsessive so, stick with f&f.

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

... take jump-run, maze or tower-defense games - all pretty old concepts. With "functionality" I meant such concepts - the form might just strive from the 'first' appearance of these concepts. In terms of a tower-defense, Imagine you staying on a beach looking straight down to your feet ... unfortunately the beach has a crab issue, sneaking towards you. At first one might just slightly wave the camera after first crabs managed to break through till the game is lost or a next stage is reached.

There might be a lot of options for effects, animals etc. - the penalty would be the camera moving around ... see also "head over heels" there should be a free version on the net.

hth

There are no new ideas ,just variations on existing ideas. Fortunatly new kids come along and the games are new to them.

How depressing.

Mike

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Well in computergames, keys open doors. The option to 'hack' doors wasn't just invented because running for the next key card became boring - 'hacking' is an additional skill. There is always room to strife. Compare 'Dantes inferno' - the c64 version vs. the 360 version ... basically the same game [which is great] however system capability does the trick there. So, its not just about a more modern version but about what a platform can do (input etc.) too.

Well in computergames, keys open doors. The option to 'hack' doors wasn't just invented because running for the next key card became boring - 'hacking' is an additional skill. There is always room to strife. Compare 'Dantes inferno' - the c64 version vs. the 360 version ... basically the same game [which is great] however system capability does the trick there. So, its not just about a more modern version but about what a platform can do (input etc.) too.

So, in your opinion, almost all games' inspiration comes from previous games, movies or books?

If so, where did the ORIGINAL inspiration come from to create those first games, movies or books?

I remember playing some interesting games when I was a kid, like Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Defender, Missile Command, Galaga and the list goes on and on. I have NO DESIRE to recreate those games - EXCEPT for Dig Dug. I have wanted to create a FPS Dig Dug for a long time. I think it would be so cool to play that. I also have a bit of inspiration coming to me from the ghost shows I watch on TV. Kinda like Mario's hunting for ghosts, but not nearly as cute.

Mike

IMHO its an invention or one interpretation of life - dante is still dante even if it evolved quit a bit.

The question for game designer might be more like ... story or gameplay driven, the context and the options e.g.

timeframe & engine capabilities.

PS : my game is based on a concept story and the prototype will be a prequel but since its purely gameplay driven the story doesn't matters that much there - if it's solid the story goes on but gameplay will not change much (that's why I have to put that much functionality in it though). IMHO if one develops for PC, one should think big (and might drop some features).

The original film version of King Kong looked like a new idea, but actually it was a variation on beauty and the beast.its VERY difficult to think up a original idea. In computers graphics quality has progressed enormously but gameplay has not kept up with it.But it not depressing, theres still lots to be done....just my opinion.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

where did the ORIGINAL inspiration come from to create those first games, movies or books?

I remember playing some interesting games when I was a kid, like Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Defender, Missile Command, Galaga

It all starts with a basic concept which is then fleshed out:

Dig Dug - move underground by digging through dirt

Donkey Kong - rescue the princess by ascending a structure

Centipede - shoot at an enemy as it slowly approches you

Defender - fly a spaceship over a planet shooting enemies

Missile Command - shoot down approaching missiles

Galaga - shoot enemies which move in patterns

As you can tell, the basic gameplay is all based on relatable concepts which have been seen before. What makes these games special are the additional elements:

Dig Dug - enemies take time to kill (by being inflated) and can float through walls. You could argue that the digging concept was brand new, which may be right.

Donkey Kong - barrels roll along your path and randomly use shortcuts you can take (ladders) and also come from behind you

Centipede - enemy movement pattern changes based on environment, which is randomly and dynamically created

Defender - defend civilians in addition to attacking enemies, advanced effects for its time

Missile Command - you have advanced control over your projectiles and damage is dealt indirectly, forcing you to think ahead

Galaga (is actually a successor to Galaxian) - clever/fun enemy patterns, ability to snatch player

If you are curious about new and experimental gameplay, look into Jonathan Blow's prototypes. He also has some nice YouTube talk videos you should check out, like