Dynamic shadows cast correctly?

I was a little confused by the following picture, showing the default start map and a model with dynamic shadows turned on:

post-6662-0-10623900-1368797787.png

Judging from the box's shadow, the directed light is coming from the front, whereas the dynamic shadow looks as if its coming from above and slightly behind the model. In addition, the model's shadow looks to me rotated by 180 degrees.

Edit: I take back the 180 degrees thing, that seems to be OK, but the "source" of the model's shadow really is coming from high above and slightly behind the model.

There isn't really a source, it's just an arbitrary angle. What we could do is cast it from the default angle, and then make it adjust automatically to the directional light, when one is in the scene.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I would suggest to supply configuration parameters for the angles, similar to a directional light, with the current angle being the default. That way the user could choose which settings suit the situation best, and it would be easy to enter the same values as that of a directional light, if present.