How to modify texture from CUDA

Alex Kordic

Hi,

I would like to use opengl calls to modify texture using cuda kernels.

I would usually first make opengl context current to my thread, then get texture id, then register texture as cuda resource, run kernels, unregister cuda-texture and finally include my texture in render loop.

What would be performant method to do this in UltraEngine?

Ultra Engine uses Vulkan, not OpenGL.

There is a system for custom hooks that run in the rendering thread, but it is unofficial and not documented.

The World::AddHook method allows you to add a hook that will run either in the data transfer step, or in the render loop using HOOKID_RENDER or HOOKID_TRANSFER. @klepto2 has done some very interesting things with this:

The texture class has two undocumented commands that must ONLY be run in one of the hooks above:

•  VkImage Texture::GetImage()
  •  VkSampler Texture::GetSampler()

I think this probably gives you the pieces you need to do what you want, but Vulkan is a difficult beast to tame. You might have better luck using compute shaders, if you are not committed to Cuda.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

while in theory it is possible to share resources between OpenGL and Vulkan i would not recommend that.

You can use this:

https://github.com/klepto2/UltraComputeShaderSample

it contains a lib which adds ComputeShaders to UltraEngine and a very basic sample. Note: as UltraEngine (as most Vulkan libs) is multithreaded the result of a compute shader is not available immediately but mostly in sync with the render pipeline.

• Like 1
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

Hi, thank you for the info. I will start learning about vulkan-cuda interop.

My goal is to produce "video texture" that gets updated each frame (if FPS is limited to 60). 

Ideally I would like to avoid image copy. I don't like CUDA >> system >> vulkan. For 4K resolution this is a lot of overhead.

• Alex Kordic changed the title to How to modify texture from CUDA