Development Channel is Available

Josh

The development channel provides access to the very latest updates before a formal version release. This is good for getting the latest features and fixes, but may also be more unstable than the default channel. It's up to you how frequently you want to receive updates.

In the standalone you can switch to the dev channel by opening the client app, pressing the uninstall button (if the engine is already installed) and then selecting the dev channel in the dropdown list, and pressing install.

image.thumb.png.205d281511baed931e101e11a1ed690d.png

In Steam you can select the beta branch in the application properties.

image.thumb.png.d095b9810ffd510e2d831df555e3089c.png

• Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Josh changed the title to Development Channel is Available
  • Josh pinned this topic

I considered this during development, but it seemed like it could get very confusing, especially since an environment variable is used to point to the install path.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I considered this during development, but it seemed like it could get very confusing, especially since an environment variable is used to point to the install path.

That's fair. The only use case I was thinking of was trying new features without having to reinstall to flip between versions. Could be useful if you wanted to gather feedback before merging something into stable.

Related to that: does loading a project with a different version engine than it was created in mutate any of the project "state"?

Like, as you probably know, in some engines every project has an associated version with it, and trying to load a newer versioned project into a relatively older engine version is usually a recipe for disaster. I'm just imagining a scenario where you want to try upgrading the engine version, but the newer one might have some bugs/etc. so you decide to roll back. I think Unreal gets around this by asking if you want to duplicate the project before loading it into a different engine version, so you knowingly accept the risks/have some way to go back just in case.

Or maybe Ultra is much more robust in this regard and it's not a concern, but just curious :)

The engine does resave the ultra.json file often, where all the project settings are stored, but at this time it seems very stable. It's just a JSON file, so if new data is added in a newer engine version it will still be backwards compatible with older builds, unless there was some really huge change I can't imagine right now.

• Like 1