Blade3d-esque Scene Layout Options

Pancakes

Blade3d was the best editor. Period. But Leadwerks is getting there. I have a suggestion to bring in some of Blade3d's scene editor options for placing props in the scene. I will illustrate with just a series of commands that a player might use in order to place some stone pillars on a target CSG cube.

1) Drag-drop stone pillar asset into scene.

2) Right-click stone pillar and drop down option for new Blade3d-esque scene options for the stone pillar.

3) select Duplicate --> x6 (to make six copies of stone pillar)

4) group select the stone pillars then...

5) select Organize --> Rows x Columns --> 2x3 (to place the six pillars into a 2x3 formation)

6) select Drop to Floor --> then left click the CSG cube you want to act as the floor.

7) with the stone pillars selected again choose Make Circular

bam. you can have a perfectly aligned ring of stone pillars with 3 on the left and 3 on the right by doing this. I know it seems like a lot of actions but in practice it's a great way to test out layouts for your props with just a few button presses.

Blade3d had other options like, Stack Selected, Rotate Randomly, etc. It was great having those options.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

depends on your game type also.

Far Cry and others big outdoors rely lot more on terrain and tools to randomly rotate, place vegetation or premade models that are groups of trees.

For BSP, i think some align functions and snapping along some axis would be great.

Stop toying and make games