Environment management system

Alienhead

As some of you may know, havenphillp and myself have been working on a open world management system for an upcoming game jam in October. 

Thus far the system handles:

• 24 hour clock cycles ( day to night with smooth light, color and skybox transitions ) 
  • Storm system, cloud, light thunderstorms and all out deluge.
  • Unlimited vegetation system with perimeter detection for stuff like grass squashing and path carving.
  • Ability to cut down trees and or blow them up.
  • Pathfinding system that handles map segments.
  • True open-world management for 4k terrain maps.

So far the results are positive, the speed and performance is there.. There's still much to do to the environment system, but little by little it's coming together. 

Next week: road laying tools !

• Like 5

Dude that looks unbelievably good. I'm impressed with HOW MUCH stuff you got in the level. That foliage thing you came up with is awesome. I want to get in there and work on some of the textures and effects. The movement on the plants too. Love it all. How "done" is the level and is it updated to that point? I want to go through everything and fix the specular on the rocks, etc. Add that subsurface scattering to the plants, and is there a bed carved for a river?

• Like 1

Been out of town most of the week, but was able to get some more environment stuff scripted in,  I now have random wind gusts ( which the entire veg system reacts to ) and 3 lvls of random storms, a new cloud system that changes due to weather conditions and ambient of the hour of day.  Layered real time clouds cast real time shadow to the terrain and entites below. 

More next week as we press along. ! 

ssenv3.thumb.jpg.171caf9d9f2e0aac8a63dcb7d29375b4.jpg

• Like 5

After a week long bout with having to change each 24hr cycle to match a weather pattern, I'm now glad to say that nightmare is behind me.  I was able to implement storms and rain pretty easily after completing that task.  

This screenshot shows a small rain cloud, muddy built up areas, auto adjusting of the roughness levels per surface so it's only 'wetty' looking while its raining. Also havenphillp's reworked version of AO implemented in this screenshot as well, I absolutely love how his process picks up the dark areas and leaves the scatter clutter out of the picture.. Well done 'haven'.

rain.thumb.jpg.b6b780a5d3587d63cf175d5cf1917b06.jpg  rain2.thumb.jpg.e84931e75f0863448af47a634bdb3920.jpg muddy.thumb.jpg.c4ca06113f15cc40678a6875ba62dce7.jpg

I'll do a small video later showing the rain, the screenshot doesn't demonstrate it clearly :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Two new spawners added this week.. An area spawner, sorta like an environmental probe, but works off tint and hue, just drop the spawner into an area you want darkened, give it a hue and area distance and you have instant darkened area.. 

4.thumb.jpg.65d9fe23e356942f2d4d8332734b5a1e.jpg

And my storm spawner, complete with puddles, sound effects and lens smudging.  :)

storm.thumb.jpg.a8cc0b3db2eb4a33da595117b3b4cb01.jpg

That about does it for this week, some more cool stuff planned for the upcoming week.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1