Imported Model Settings

beo6

Hello everyone.

I am not sure if these are really bugs.

I imported a sphere as FBX and imported it into the LE3 editor.

That worked nicely.

Now i wanted to use this sphere multiple times so i put the Model 2 times into the editor and set 2 different materials to them.

But as soon as i set a new material to any other entity with the same model every entity changes the material too. But in the Appearance Options they show the correct material names.

Then i wanted to set the View range to something else but as soon as i save and restart the editor they show "Max" again.

Thanks and have a good evening

Just wanted to ask again:

Do i need to add a new model for every Planet?

Because every Planet is just a Sphere with different Texture.

So i dont want to add multiple sphere.mdl´s that are exactly the same.

But when this is intended and not a bug i am ok with this.

Hi and thanks for your answer.

It is only one FBX model that got converted to mdl by the editor.

i gave them different names in the "Name" field in the "General" tab.

When i drag & drop the imported model into the scene two times they seem to share the Material.

When i copy the mdl and mdl.meta files from the model and rename the filename of the copy i can drag and drop both models and assign them different materials.

I see the reason why this behavior could be useful.

If you drop in the same object a lot. (for example enemies) they should share the same material so i don´t need to modify all of them when i need to change the material.

But then i most likely would just create a prefab of a finished object and drag this in and possibly just modfiy the already assigned material

When i drag & drop the imported model into the scene two times they seem to share the Material.

Thats the way editors works.

For a different model with other material , yes you need another material and another new model that will "point" to that new material)

Stop toying and make games

But then at least the "Material" field in the "Appearance" Tab is showing the wrong material when i try to use a different material for a duplicate.

also wouldn´t it be nice to have enemys that share the same model but use different textures so you don´t have a bunch of clones running around in your game?

having the same model a couple of times in your game is just a waste of space. especially on mobile devices where the available space is still a bit limited.

You can do it in a more simple way : BY CODE

You can just create 2 goblins that share same script , and the script could work that way :

int texture_type

The user would just in the panel enter a value for that exposed variable of the script.

he could put for example 1 or 2 values

in the code at init step :

if texture_type == 1

material "texture_red"

apply it to entity

end

if texture_type == 2

load material "texture_green"

apply it to entity

end

So you would just have to place goblins in the scene, for each attach the script and just enter the good value in the panel for the exposed variable that will control wich texture to load.

We should make such script :)

Stop toying and make games

• 3 months later...