Movement on terrain

StOneDOes

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

I'm wondering what the correct set of properties/functions are to apply in order to get a player like model to move around the map on my terrain. I assume that first I need to set something that will snap the model to the terrain, and then when it moves I want it to follow the terrain height in a realistic manner - I can do this manually but I assume that it is built it? I'm guessing that I may need a navmesh but haven't really looked into that yet. At this stage I just have a model that I have added an Actor to with a Mover, but that's all.

59 minutes ago, Josh said:

For an RTS, you may want to use a navigation mesh:
https://www.ultraengine.com/learn/CreateNavMesh?lang=cpp

This will also handle large crowds.

Thanks for this. However I'm not able to get it to work at this point. I'm assuming I've got something wrong in CreateNavMesh().

I created a minimal example by basically sticking the terrain sample and navmesh sample together, but can't get that to work either:

#include "UltraEngine.h"
#include "ComponentSystem.h"

using namespace UltraEngine;

int main(int argc, const char* argv[])
{
    //Get the display list
    auto displays = GetDisplays();

//Create a window
    auto window = CreateWindow("Ultra Engine", 0, 0, 1280, 720, displays[0], WINDOW_CENTER | WINDOW_TITLEBAR);

//Create a world
    auto world = CreateWorld();
    world->SetAmbientLight(0);

//Create a framebuffer
    auto framebuffer = CreateFramebuffer(window);

//Create a camera
    auto camera = CreateCamera(world);
    camera->SetFov(70);
    camera->SetPosition(0, 50, 0);
    camera->SetRotation(45, 0, 0);
    camera->SetClearColor(0.125);

//Sunlight
    auto light = CreateDirectionalLight(world);
    light->SetRotation(45, 35, 0);
    light->SetColor(2);

//Create terrain
    auto terrain = CreateTerrain(world, 512);
    terrain->LoadHeightmap("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UltraEngine/Documentation/master/Assets/Terrain/512.r16");
    terrain->SetScale(1, 100, 1);

//Create base material
    auto ground = CreateMaterial();
    auto diffusemap = LoadTexture("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UltraEngine/Documentation/master/Assets/Materials/Ground/river_small_rocks_diff_4k.dds");
    auto normalmap = LoadTexture("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UltraEngine/Documentation/master/Assets/Materials/Ground/river_small_rocks_nor_gl_4k.dds");
    ground->SetTexture(diffusemap, TEXTURE_DIFFUSE);
    ground->SetTexture(normalmap, TEXTURE_NORMAL);
    terrain->SetMaterial(ground);

//Create paint material
    auto rocks = CreateMaterial();
    diffusemap = LoadTexture("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UltraEngine/Documentation/master/Assets/Materials/Ground/Rocks_Dirt_Ground_2k.dds");
    normalmap = LoadTexture("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UltraEngine/Documentation/master/Assets/Materials/Ground/Rocks_Dirt_Ground_2k_dot3.dds");
    auto dispmap = LoadTexture("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UltraEngine/Documentation/master/Assets/Materials/Ground/Rocks_Dirt_Ground_2k_disp.dds");
    rocks->SetTexture(diffusemap, TEXTURE_DIFFUSE);
    rocks->SetTexture(normalmap, TEXTURE_NORMAL);
    rocks->SetTexture(dispmap, TEXTURE_DISPLACEMENT);

//Apply material based on terrain slope
    for (int x = 0; x < terrain->resolution.x; ++x)
    {
        for (int y = 0; y < terrain->resolution.y; ++y)
        {
            float slope = terrain->GetSlope(x, y);
            if (slope > 15.0f)
            {
                float wt = Min((slope - 15.0f) / 10.0f, 1.0f);
                terrain->SetMaterial(x, y, rocks, wt);
            }
        }
    }

//Camera controls
    auto actor = CreateActor(camera);
    actor->AddComponent<CameraControls>();

//Create navmesh
    auto navmesh = CreateNavMesh(world, 512, 512, 512, 8, 8);
    navmesh->Build();

//Create player
    auto player = CreateCylinder(world, 0.4, 1.8);
    player->SetColor(0, 0, 1);
    player->SetPosition( 0.f, 50.f, 0.5 );
    player->SetScale( 10.f, 10.f, 10.f );
    auto agent = CreateNavAgent(navmesh);
    player->Attach(agent);

//Main loop
    while (window->Closed() == false and window->KeyDown(KEY_ESCAPE) == false)
    {
        if (window->MouseHit(MOUSE_LEFT))
        {
            auto mousepos = window->GetMousePosition();
            auto rayinfo = camera->Pick(framebuffer, mousepos.x, mousepos.y);
            if (rayinfo.success)
            {
                agent->Navigate(rayinfo.position);
            }
        }

world->Update();
        world->Render(framebuffer);
    }
    return 0;
}

• Solution

Here you go:

//Create navmesh
    auto navmesh = CreateNavMesh(world, 512, 512, 512, 8, 8);
    //navmesh->SetDebugging(true);// visualize navmesh geometry
    navmesh->Build();

//Create player
    auto player = CreateCylinder(world, 0.4, 1.8);
    player->SetNavigationMode(false);// prevent player from triggering navmesh update
    player->SetColor(0, 0, 1);
    player->SetScale(10.f, 10.f, 10.f);

auto agent = CreateNavAgent(navmesh);
    agent->SetPosition(0.f, 50.f, 0.5);
    player->Attach(agent);

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

You're right, those values won't get set unless the agent has already been initialized by calling the Navigate() method. I fixed this for the next build. In the meantime you can just call these methods after a call to Agent::Navigate().

Be careful with the max acceleration value. I set both to 1000 and the agent started rubber-banding comically.

• Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

BTW, your scale for this scene is far too big. I recommend using real-world units, where one meter = one unit space. Otherwise you may encounter unexpected problems. At the very least it will make your art pipeline problematic, because all your loaded models will need to be rescaled.

19 hours ago, Josh said:

BTW, your scale for this scene is far too big. I recommend using real-world units, where one meter = one unit space. Otherwise you may encounter unexpected problems. At the very least it will make your art pipeline problematic, because all your loaded models will need to be rescaled.

No stress here - this is just purely for me to learn how to use the fundamentals of the engine; the objects will not be the size of that cylinder ... much smaller :D . I have some artwork that was created for Leadwerks some years ago so I'm going to start with that and see how it goes.

This is a little bit closer to what it will look like in terms of scale.

The NavAgent class could use a few more controlling functions eg. set how much rotation must be involved to turn the object around before moving in that direction. I could drop some thoughts and feedback into the suggestion box, but I assume you already have this kind of stuff in mind @Josh?

Wow, I don't know why but it already looks like a game. I don't know how you guys do it. 😄

Please create a thread in the suggestions forum for any additional ideas you have!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Wow, I don't know why but it already looks like a game. I don't know how you guys do it. 😄

Please create a thread in the suggestions forum for any additional ideas you have!

Its a reflection of your great work! The engine API is so intuitive; I'm having quite an easy time building my game framework around it.

And sure, will do.