Release Notes

Josh

• Updated the thumbnail utility to support the newer version 301 model format. It's probably a little faster now too.
  • Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Added "Reset Transform" menu item in model editor tools menu.
  • First implementation of imposters is ready. See Tools >Generate Imposter in model editor window. Note that foliage and imposters do not work together...yet.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Added the missing post-processing effects which are used for imposter generation.
  • Thanks 1

• Mesh layers that use per-vertex alignment now automatically use the terrain normal.
  • Null post-process effects no longer cause fatal error in editor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Shader families now include a "meshlayer" value to specify the vertex shader to be used. Previously I was using a single shader for everything, the system is now supports all the various shader families.
  • Shader families will no longer use a separate "shadow" group, but instead "depthPass" will always be used, for both the forward Z pass and for shadow renders.
  • Imposters now have their own shader family, and it works with mesh layers. Some additional work is needed on lighting, but it's working well.
  • Mesh layers will now skip rendering of shadows, for meshes that have a material with shadows disabled.
  • Fixed compile errors in imposter shaders.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Shader update fixes mesh layer normals.
  • Shader update fixes missing ambient light in imposter fragment shader.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Added an example of a custom shader family and shader. I tried to make it as simple as possible, with one input and one output structure in which all parameters are stored. The files in "Shaders/Custom" are an example of what any node-based shader editor should output.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Imposter lighting corrected. I also made some corrections to how the imposter images are generated, so I recommend recreating these. Make sure you delete the old imposter mesh and LOD from the model hierarchy before creating a new one.
  • Upvote 1

• Foliage tool will now make use of slope and height constraints.
  • Imposter generation will now remove a previously generated imposter, if it is found, so you don't have to manually delete those each time you update the imposter.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Added terrain mesh layer picking, which means 3/4 of my tasks I listed for the week in Saturday's meeting are already finished. The PickInfo structure now has an integer for the index of the mesh layer and an iVec2 for the exact picked instance.
  • Upvote 1

• Added support for collision with terrain mesh layers. For player collision, I spawned a bunch of temporary physics bodies around the player, which eliminates some of the issues Leadwerks has with player collision on vegetation.
  • I forgot about mesh layers integrating into the navmesh pathfinding system, so that's the last part of this system that I will do tomorrow.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I forgot to include the terrain height in the instance positions in the physics thread, and it only works on flat terrain. Will finish it tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Mesh layer collision now works with terrain height.
  • Mesh layers now work with navigation meshes.

There are probably some bugs, but now I am switching over from "new implementation" mode to "make sure things work" mode so whatever needs fixing will get fixed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Fixed Nvidia meshlayer / imposter bug.
  • Small improvements to the terrain panel interface.
  • Upvote 1

Note that the collision type seems to not be loading from maps in the current build, so loaded maps will not have collision on mesh layers yet.

• Upvote 1

• Fixed bug where model collider was not being saved with the right size.
  • Fixed bug where child entities in prefabs were not loading in the correct position.
  • Terrain mesh layer collision setting will now be loaded by games.
  • Upvote 1

• Fixed bug in entity transform properties.
  • Brushes now lock texture coords when entity transform properties are changed.
  • Prefabs now always lock texcoords (or rather, texture mapping planes) when loaded or moved around.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Nav meshes no longer build on hidden brush faces.
  • Child brushes will now be included in glTF saves, although there is no Brush::Save method.
  • Added separate icon for models in scene browser.
  • Fixed editor bug where navmesh height and agent height were getting mixed up.
  • Hidden brush faces will now be skipped by Pick routine.
  • Editor color theme will be loaded from "UI/Themes/dark.json" at startup.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Fixed mesh layers not working correctly with depth prepass, will yield a significant performance increase.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Bloom outline now appears round instead of squarish.
  • Root group is now created in scene browser by default.
  • Added smooth and flatten terrain tools.
  • Added tone mapping post-processing effect.
  • Animation names in model editor are now editable.
  • Bone inverse bind matrices are now stored in model format.
  • Like 1