How middlewares work?

Vida Marcell

You have to code one for OpenGl and one for DirectX.

Psuedo code for how it works:

```

isOpenGL = true

animateLimb(name, x, y, length) {

if (isOpenGL) {

// Do openGl stuff

} else {

// Do DX stuff

}

}

```

i now hate love C++

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep~~This is a test of the emergency signature system~~Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep

RX 6800XT | i5-13600KF | 32GB DDR5 | 1440p is perfect

Hi, 

game middleware can be in many forms, but mostly you develop your middleware in an abstract manner. 

This can mean the following:

1. You just make methods which calculate things and give out these data. The user has to decide how to integrate them into his engine. (e.g.: Pysicsengines like Newton)
  2. You have provide some kind of abstract classes which your middleware can consume and which wraps up the functionality you need in your middleware. (e.g.: Graphics Engines with multiple Drivers, UI-Engines in most cases)

for the abstract way there are some more things to consider than just OpenGL or DirectX. Each engine can have a unique coordinate system, for exsample, some have an upvector of [0.0,1.0,0.0] but also an upvector of [0.0,0.0,1.0] is very common. That means that unlike in Leadwerks the y-axis is up, but the z-axis is up.

You need to provide some kind of driver  or interface for the middleware to interact with the engine. So  everyone can implemnt the engine specific needs themselve.

• Like 1
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

Rendering middleware is kind of rare. You would usually find a task that requires no graphics at all, and maybe have a simple renderer you use with it just to show it in action.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.