which le3 language?

cassius

I have written my le2 game in the c language without too many probs but when I buy le3 I will have to decide on c++ or lua.

I know almost nothing about lua so my question is this: is it a short step from c to c++ or should I learn lua?

What do you think?

Maybe after a short time someone should run a poll on which language is most used with Leadwerks 3.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I think Lua is good for simple behavior and learning. For performance you will want to write demanding code in C++. We made Darkness Awaits in pure Lua just because it's easy to understand, but in reality you would probably use C++ for the AI and player, just because it would allow you to have more characters active at once.

Most games will probably use a combination of C++ and Lua. C++ for the main code, Lua for simple things like doors and game level interactions.

Thanks. I will be looking for a first person example to get me started. I am no good at setup code but ok at gameplay stuff. Anything in the main loop I can handle.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Please dont make the mistake and equal c with c++, c++ is based on c but has some major improvement (new(constructor)/delete(destructor), templates, classes (private/public/proctected, inheritance, virtual)..... etc.)

When you mastered c, c++ isnt that hard but there are differences (malloc/realloc/free vs new/delete ... dont to mention stl).

Oh you will, because

class mytest
{
public:
 mytest() : someint(0), somefloat(0.0f)
 {
   calcsome();
 }
private:
 int someint;
 float somefloat;
 void calcsome()
 {
 }
}

int main()
{
 mytest* test = new test();
 // or
 mytest test2();
}

is much better then somethind like

int someint;
float somefloat;
void calcsome()
{
}

void xyz_init(int a, float B)
{
someint = a;
somefloat = b;
calcsome();
}

int main()
{
 xyz_init(0, 0.0f);
}

Please dont make the mistake and equal c with c++, c++ is based on c but has some major improvement (new(constructor)/delete(destructor), templates, classes (private/public/proctected, inheritance, virtual)..... etc.)

When you mastered c, c++ isnt that hard but there are differences (malloc/realloc/free vs new/delete ... dont to mention stl).

I probably use about 2/3 of those things. The subset of C++ we stick to is pretty simple to use. I wanted to keep things simple so we could be sure it would compile everywhere.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.