On the horizon

Rick

Thought I'd give a post on some objects I have in the works. I'm thinking in terms of objects that provide real functionality and not just simple models objects. Here is a list of what I'm currently working on. I'm also always on the lookout for more useful objects to make complete games with.

3rd Person Camera Object

- Give it a target and this will provide 3rd person controls for you on that target.

- You can rotate around the target & rotate the object itself

- You can provide an offset of where you want the camera to point on the object

- You can set min/max zoom and sencetivities

Character Object

- Set the model setting with a gmf file to make it use that model

- Creates a controller and allows you to set the height/radius of the controller

- Allows you to set the collision type of the controller

- Setting to place a name tag over the model (comes with offset settings that can include dynamic height)

Character Controls Object

- Give this a Character object as it's target and this will allow you to set controls to move that Character.

- Gives settings for keyboard movement of Forward, Backward, Strafe Left, Strafe Right, Rotate Left, Rotate Right, Duck, & Jump

With the 3 objects above it makes it a snap to get a moving character with 3rd person camera controls in your scene with zero programming required.

Future Objects

==============

AICharacter Object - Target to a Character object to give it AI

Day/Night Object - Allows a bunch of settings to give a day/night cycle to your atmosphere

Inventory Object - Gives a configurable inventory system to a Character object

I'd be open to hearing people's thoughts or ideas for other objects that would help them in making their game.

Sounds similar like GameLib. I'm planning also to make certain functions work with Lua scripts, but leave the C++ version still there as an option. If you make your scripts public, I guess they can be copied to a community project like GameLib, which is also free for all LE users?

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Yeah, that's how Lua entities should work. I think at some point there needs to be some standardization how plug-in Lua scripts should work, and what global named objects or other entities they are looking for. One standardization there is already: fw=GetGlobalObject("framewerk"), although it might be renamed into framework soon (due to general definitions of the term "framework", and naming conventions in LE).

The standard I'm going with right now is prefixing my objects with Pi, which is the first 2 characters of my last name. It's kind of like a brand. Since anyone can create objects there needs to be a way to know what object is from what creator. Like a namespace if you will.

Well, I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get it going outside of the Editor, without success. 'Exception_access_violation' seems to be the most common error.

Lumooja,

Yes, I spent some time on that bit of code but as you said in that post, there were errors.

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.