Buffer Issue

tjheldna

Hi All,

I have a Color Buffer going and rendering an alpha image, but I am having one issue with it. See Image below...

I can't seem to get rid of these artefacts. They only seem to appear in transparent areas and the amount of them vary every level load from 0 to pretty bad like the image.

Any ideas of what this could be?

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

are you sometimes changing what is drawn in the other buffer? i have seen it leave artifacts like that... i got around it by clearing the buffer before each time the image was drawn in it if i remember correctly... that or its an issue with the texture itself... looks almost like a compression issue causing artifacts with the alpha transparency...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

FPS depends mostly on buffer size and render passes. When you make buffers for animated textures, use a small buffer size, like 512x512 or 256x256, and don't render lights (=RenderLights) on it, but only geometry (=RenderWorld), also use Flip(0) because it doesn't need vsync.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

well i just tried an image that had a transparent border all the way around it and it seemed to take care of the fact that clearing the buffer makes the buffer white... so maybe add a small transparent border completely around the image? Or you can do a lil cheat like I just tried and create a completely transparent image and then draw that fullsize covering the buffer completely before drawing your other image... and it looks like you dont have to use ClearBuffer() anymore when you do that...

FPS depends mostly on buffer size and render passes. When you make buffers for animated textures, use a small buffer size, like 512x512 or 256x256, and don't render lights (=RenderLights) on it, but only geometry (=RenderWorld), also use Flip(0) because it doesn't need vsync.

why use render or flip at all? he is just drawing an image to a separate buffer not rendering another world... unless i am reading wrong what he is doing...

EDIT: you might also want to check that texture... it really does look like the artifacts you get from using compression on an alpha texture...

macklebee's channel

As far I know you have to RenderWorld and Flip to make even text or images appear of buffers. But you can you a blank world, so it doesn't actually render anything, but only populates the buffer with the text. The artifacts look like a non-renderworlded buffer.

As far I know you have to RenderWorld and Flip to make even text or images appear of buffers. But you can you a blank world, so it doesn't actually render anything, but only populates the buffer with the text. The artifacts look like a non-renderworlded buffer.

No. Thats wrong. If he is using a separate buffer to draw into then using getcolorbuffer to draw that onto his main screen, the only render/flip needed is for the main world drawing. He doesnt need a separate render/flip for the image to appear in the other buffer.

macklebee's channel

He will still need a ClearBuffer() or DrawImage(blackrectable) to clean the buffer after initialization, because it's filled with random pixels.