Point light viewpoint problems

Ryan Wenke

When assigning a point light in the scene, no matter what I make the viewpoint I can not view the actual light until I am directly underneath it. In other words, the default 0 value or even a range of 100 is not making my point lights visible from a distance. In the editor everything looks fine however. Increasing the light range does make the light somewhat more viewable from a distance, but it also increases how far out the light spreads. If I want a small light on a porch for example, this is not ideal. Any suggestions?

Below are two screen shots, first one from a distance and second one directly on top of the object. Both are from the same instance of the application.

Before

beforem.jpg

After

aftero.jpg

That's strange. Maybe the entity view distance is set to a low number?

When you say entity do you mean the point light? The view distance for that has been set to over 100 and still nothing is making the light source show up from 20-30 feet away. Not quite sure what this problem could be..

In the editor everything looks fine however.

Well, we know something is funny in your code. What kind of a rendering setup are you using? Framework, or something of your own? Have you customized the renderer or done anything that could affect the depth buffer?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

We are using the C++ framework.

Nothing was changed in it by us other than CreateCube for the skybox was replaced with CreateSphere for a sky dome.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png