SDL Visual Studio project?

Josh

Does anyone have a visual studio project that creates a window and initializes an OpenGL context with SDL? I am teaching a single class in OpenGL and this would save me a lot of time, if anyone has it already. Thanks.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Excuse my ignorance. I've only been into pure OpenGL etc. for a short time and I'm using freeGlut to make the window with an OpenGL context. Is SDL a similar thing to freeGlut? is one better than the other?

Anyway sorry for going off track.. back OP.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Ok. Well My current setup is with the old glut......... I went through a few guides to get it all going only to find out that it was out of date and that the guides I was following was using depricated OpenGL code angry.png (damn you out of date tutorials and books).

However, ironically I was planning to create a new setup OpenGL environment on VS2010 with the freeGlut tonight when I get home from work. So if I'm successful I'll send it your way.

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Ok I have it all setup in vs2010 with FreeGlut creating a window with an OpenGL context. I am using the Unofficial OpenGL SDK which includes FreeGlut and a number of other libraries. However, as I assume you don't want to confuse them with all matter of different libraries I commented out the code for everything but freeGlut. it is currently setup to use OpenGL 4.2.

Let me know if you still want it. I'm still pretty new to this stuff but I managed to render a triangle with this setup so it must be working biggrin.png

Does anyone have a visual studio project that creates a window and initializes an OpenGL context with SDL? I am teaching a single class in OpenGL and this would save me a lot of time, if anyone has it already. Thanks.

I use SDL with visual studio, but not for Open GL. I find creating graphics contexts so tricky, that I rely on the fact that a call to Graphics() in LE 2 creates a valid Open GL graphics context - from there your application can use any valid Open GL commands.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Mumbles my dear, are you feeling OK? You are such a Debian purist like me, and then you still use Microsoft Visual Studio, hello?

Today I did some research on cross platform IDEs, and CodeBlocks still won the race.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Mumbles my dear, are you feeling OK? You are such a Debian purist like me

I'm not a purist by any means. For starters I don't see the problem with Valve releasing software on Linux like a purist would. I use Debian yes, but I use XP too, and will do for some time yet - especially when it comes to development.

The majority of gamers are still using Windows. Whilst Code blocks works for windows too, VS 2008 is what I'm familiar, and comfortable with. I have tried code blocks and I just wasn't as comfortable with it. What's popular amongst everyone else is irrelevant - forcing myself to be a lemming and use something I'm not comfortable with, just because everyone likes it, will adversely affect my productivity.

That and I don't know too much about how code blocks works with the Platform SDK - if it can use it at all, since my project does use that.

Ultimately, I'm a classic example of why Microsoft gives their professional range away to university students for free. That's what you learn to use at uni, and you get something of a vendor lock-in. Again, I'm not as comfortable with 2010 as I am with 2008, so until any IDE can match 2008's comfortability, that's what I'll stick with.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Yes, I would like it please, but it needs to use OpenGL 2.1.

Out of interest Josh. Why OpenGL 2.1? From what I understand in my recent learnings is that since OpenGL 3.0 the way OpenGL operates changed a lot and a lot of the code/spec for OpenGL before 3.0 was depricated making programming with OpenGL<3.0 and >3.0 a completely different ball game.

Is it just to keep it simple? Or for mobile support?

Mumbles my dear, are you feeling OK? You are such a Debian purist like me, and then you still use Microsoft Visual Studio, hello?

Today I did some research on cross platform IDEs, and CodeBlocks still won the race.

post-1-0-21867300-1344715040_thumb.png

Everyone, feel free to use that image as frequently as is necessary.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.