Performance issues

AndyMK

I have a question about fps and what to expect from the engine. Currently i am getting used to Bmax and Lua. I am using the tunnel sbx in bmax and just playing with the framework fx to see what the fps is like at various resolutions. I have a 6 core AMD@3.3ghz and a GTX560 non ti 2GB. When i run the application@1920x1080 fullscreen it manages around 65fps inside the tunnels and around 120fps outside looking down on to the tunnels. When inside the tunnels, if i approach one of the lights, the fps drops to 35fps ... is this right? It seems a bit low but then, i don't know what to expect. The dip in FPS is not as drastic when i turn off ssao. How can a single light affect fps so much when i can zoom out of the map and see 5+ lights at a much higher fps. Also, why is the fps lower inside the tunnel when only part of it is being rendered compared to being outside it when much more is being rendered. Sorry if i am asking too many questions, just want to know how it ticks.

All post processing effects eat up the FPS like crazy especially when you have higher resolution. This is because the shader has to cycle through each pixel and process an effect ... so with HD you have 1920x1080 = 2 073 600 pixels to process for every single post processing effect. Depending on the complexity of the post fx shader this processing time could be different. It seems to eat a tonne of fps.

As for the lights etc. I'll let someone else answer. Can't say I have the same problem with a 35fps drop on my system which is not as good as yours seemingly.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

I have a question about fps and what to expect from the engine. Currently i am getting used to Bmax and Lua. I am using the tunnel sbx in bmax and just playing with the framework fx to see what the fps is like at various resolutions. I have a 6 core AMD@3.3ghz and a GTX560 non ti 2GB. When i run the application@1920x1080 fullscreen it manages around 65fps inside the tunnels and around 120fps outside looking down on to the tunnels. When inside the tunnels, if i approach one of the lights, the fps drops to 35fps ... is this right? It seems a bit low but then, i don't know what to expect. The dip in FPS is not as drastic when i turn off ssao. How can a single light affect fps so much when i can zoom out of the map and see 5+ lights at a much higher fps. Also, why is the fps lower inside the tunnel when only part of it is being rendered compared to being outside it when much more is being rendered. Sorry if i am asking too many questions, just want to know how it ticks.

That seems odd. I would just keep SSAO off as it can be rather demanding.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Ok there is a bit of a mix up with my fps figures i gave in my original post above. I was trying many things at the time. With all fx enabled and vsync off, the fps inside the tunnels is anything between 55 and 65 fps even when approaching lights. With vsync on, the fps drops from 60 to 30, approaching a light. I am sure it was not doing this last week otherwise i would have noticed it. Could this be an nvidia setting?