Entity cull time question to Josh

Aily

Seems like 2 parameters in info affects render speed, it's

Entity cull time

and

Entity draw time

Scene have no any lights (for clean testing)

I can decrase Entity draw time by attaching separate material chanels (surfaces) to one texture on whole mesh, and then Entity draw time will be very little. But Entity cull time will be at the same value.

I don't think that Entity cull time is frustum culling time, because when i'm turn away from scene - this value droped to zero (in this way frustum culling always pass throw all entities in scene)

What is Entity cull time? May be will be better tu turn (somehow) off entity culling?

post-260-0-91189400-1331438051_thumb.jpg

"Better" is big enemy of "good"

Culling = determining what objects need to be rendered.

Drawing = rendering them.

Your numbers there look like you are trying to break the engine. 1.8 million polys before shadows? 10,000 entities? Really? We had 10,000 entities in the Zone concept scene, but they were distance culled.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Culling = determining what objects need to be rendered.

I hope it runs like this:

in render loop for each entity make frustum, distance and occlusion culling

if all Ok - render

If i turn back from scene, and don't see it - my FPS became up to 300(!), so i think frustum culling still working for each entity and after it - do not renders entities because it out of camera frustum. So it's very fast, and it's great.

But when i turn to scene (with many-many entities) - frustum culling still there, but added distance+occlusion culling.

(i have tested single mesh renders extreme fast)

So i think distance and occlusion culling - is EVIL.

Can i ask about feature for LE2.x - disable any culling per entity? Think it's very simple to implement :)

Your numbers there look like you are trying to break the engine. 1.8 million polys before shadows? 10,000 entities? Really? We had 10,000 entities in the Zone concept scene, but they were distance culled.

I can't open cards right now, but it something realy amazing ;)

"Better" is big enemy of "good"

And why this?

2 entities!

With 2 oildrums - 4 entities0.

1331453732-clip-64kb.png

The model, and the active LOD mesh. Rendered entity = stepped through hierarchy and called its draw function, whether or not anything is actually rendered.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.