max 2 obj - conversion request

flachdrache

Hey there -

just found an offer which almost looks to good to be true.

A whole lot of "lowpoly" cars ... max users ! - please take a look and consider converting the " lowpoly car-sets 1-6"

from the given site.

http://tinyurl.com/6t8opcq

PS : you might ask why obj and not gmf ... the texture sheets might need to be merged down for inGame usage.

tia

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

I got my nephew to convert one to .obj, it was around 1200 tris when I converted to .gmf...

post-12-0-16684600-1331153680_thumb.jpg

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

It bothers me that there is seemingly no sign of any licence on the site regarding the models usage.

Unless I have a clear statement of the right to use royalty free then I tend to assume I probably don't have the right and avoid as I would have no way of defending that in a court of law.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

right - no sign of an eula is strange ...

on the other hand, i did put up a lot of art assets as a starter w/o any license myself and since it looks like a students work i wouldnt mind.

Defending the law is easy - using the internet - would be hard with real world brands ( VW, BMW, Porsche etc. )

or obviously "extracted" game content though. Game content usualy is obvious because of its well thought-out uv maps etc.

I write a mail though - once "we can have it" ... can we ?

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

It bothers me that there is seemingly no sign of any licence on the site regarding the models usage.

Unless I have a clear statement of the right to use royalty free then I tend to assume I probably don't have the right and avoid as I would have no way of defending that in a court of law.

Same here. I'm always careful about these things, not so much because I fear being sued, more out of respect. I wouldn't want my work to be used without permission either, even though If you'd ask me nicely for it, I wouldn't say no..

Still, I got duped one time, I bought a couple of models on turbosquid (which I considered a trusted site), the info page was very solid and detailed (usually not the case), and the "artist" said they can be used in game as he himself tested them out in UDK, so it all looked legit to me. Then some time later I figure out that they were ripped from some game. Still haven't found out which one, but I'm positive, because I've investigated a little, and found out it matches the output of a little tool that can rip game models and textures from any DirectX application at run-time (quite clever actually).. that, and the seller got removed from turbosquid.

Luckily I didn't use them anywhere before realizing this. I'm gonna open a dispute at turbosquid and see what they'll say about that... hopefully they won't weasel out with an "We're sorry, but the dispute was not initiated under our X-day warranty period blah blah" excuse, and offer a refund.

Wow, that's fascinating! The lengths some people will go to and the misused skills of some programmers! Good luck with the refund.

I'm always careful about these things, not so much because I fear being sued, more out of respect.

That too is a very good point.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Still, I got duped one time, I bought a couple of models on turbosquid (which I considered a trusted site), the info page was very solid and detailed (usually not the case), and the "artist" said they can be used in game as he himself tested them out in UDK, so it all looked legit to me. Then some time later I figure out that they were ripped from some game. ... I'm gonna open a dispute at turbosquid and see what they'll say about that.

I've purchased from Turbosquid before and plan to again as I do consider them a trusted site but obviously they can be duped too. I expect that you'll get your refund. Please let me know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

We got bitten by a reputable site which were selling models submitted by someone who ripped them from an EA game, I wonder if it was the same person that got kicked from Turbosquid. The vendor did the decent thing by alerting customers when it was discovered, they later offered replacements. We had to rebuild the models from scratch ourselves so they matched the same footprint, just to avoid readjusting everything in the scene. That would have been a lot of work.

As gamecreator says re-sellers can get duped too. If something looks too good to be true, well worth taking a second look (if you're planning to distribute in any way).

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

I'd be very cautious about using that website. Just doing a quick glance through the Character, Vehicles, Watercraft and Weapons sections you're looking at pretty much nothing but copyright and trademark violations if you were to use them in your game.

Characters are pretty obvious. I'm pretty sure Michael Bay (and a good many other individuals and corporations) would have an issue with one of the Transformers showing up in your game.

Vehicle and Weapon manufacturers are also very strict about their use in games. They all require licensed usage in most cases. Turn 10, for example, just now finally came to an agreement with Porche to have their cars in Forza 4. Dice is now having issues with Textron (owners of Bell) over the use of the Viper and Huey (and several others) being used in Battlefield 3. Someone forgot to get proper licensing apparently.

Just be aware of what you include in your games.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.