How to export a model via .fbx to .gmf ??

Michael Betke

I'm a little bit frustrated. I have a nice scene but Arbuz exporter doesn't export it or it takes forever...

Now my approach is to export to .fbx and then use fbx2gmf.exe

It works a bit...

I think I do something wrong there maybe. All I get is a model which is way too large, has a smoothing over 90 degree (all edges are round) but I would prefer it to not have any smoothing at all.

I also have absolutly no materials applied.

My model is editable poly object, has no smoothing applied at all and one global material as a start. But even this basic stuff doesnt work. I export as FBX2009 in ASCII.

Any suggestions, hints, tutorials, advises??? :)

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

All I can help with is that I know his exporter takes longer the more triangles you have in your scene. If it's an option to break up your scene into multiple objects, you may consider exporting them in groups. I don't know anything about FBX exporting though except to make sure you have the correct exporter version matching your Max version.

I have seperate objects but the export with arbuz tool itself doesn't work.

I tried UU3D because its suggested here a lot. It works in some way but sometimes the mesh was really messed up after using the .GMF exporter. And textures are not on my model too...

My next step is to check with the mesh a bit more. The main problem are meshes I get from architects, 3d stores or CAD. All stuff I model myself from scratch works lol.. ;)

Isn't there a tutorial or anything about a functional export pipeline??

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Its hard to visualise what your problem may be Michael, can you export a test mesh that I can look at in UU3D? The model being large sounds like the difference between Max units and Leadwerks, can you elaborate on " the mesh was really messed up after using the .GMF exporter"

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

• 5 months later...

Hi Michael,

I love your work man, good stuff.

I prefer to use FBX format because of support for sub-meshes, and big time support from Autodesk.

I've used FBX 2012.1 converter and viewer and FBX2GMF tool and with great success, and only had two issues. One dealing with scale (large meshes), and two x or y axsis rotated 90 degrees. Both which I can deal with, so I'm ok.

I've included a link to new FBX stuff that may help, or try the 2012 links in my post.

My suggestion is to use the FBX converter to create your FBX file, it can import different formats, and export your FBX ascii file.

Perhaps import fbx2009 format using fbx2012 converter, then export that to fbx for conversion, just a thought.

I'll take a look if you like, let me know if I can help.

http://www.leadwerks...2-fbx-exporter/