editor properties bug

Rick

Want to make sure others are seeing the same thing before I make a bug report.

Start a new scene

Drag in 2 camera nodes

Open the settings on one and in the "start here" setting put a 0 and click apply

Now open up the settings on the other and in "start here" setting put 0 and click apply

Close the properties box and open it up again on the 2nd camera settings and the 0 you put there won't be there, it'll be blank (the last value it was)

There seems to be something with the same component setting the same setting and value it won't take on the 2nd one. You have to make it a different value than the first and then you can make it the same value before it'll take. This has been a pretty big pain for me with my components since there is a good deal of the same settings between my components.

This seems to only happen when you don't have code for the GetKey/SetKey in your scripts and you let it flow directly to the model keys.

and it works just fine if you set it to anything other than 0

It would seem if you set it to the same value (any value) it won't work. I set first one to 5 and second one to 5 and second one again doesn't have it. Same if I set both to "Test" so doesn't seem to matter of type. The pain is if I actually want them to be the same you have to set it to something that you don't want first, save it, then set it to the value you do what (the value that was the same on the other one). Guessing it's looking at key name globally and if the value is the same it won't make the change or something. Should be looking at it on a per object basis or not doing any sort of check at all and just change it every time.

if it had the Get/Set key functions that would not happen

If it has the basic Get/Set (which is what my components have) it doesn't seem to work either. One would have to code for each setting but shouldn't have to if you don't care to capture these values in object variables and just want it to flow through to the model keys.

Basic Get/Set like below still has the same issue from what I've seen with my components

function object:SetKey(key,value)
	if key == "" then

else
		return self.super:SetKey(key,value)
	end
	return 1
end

function object:GetKey(key,value)
	if key == "" then

else
		return self.super:GetKey(key,value)
	end
	return value
end

This seems like a bug to me because setting it to a different value than the last value for the other object works. Why should the editor care if I want the same property value between 2 separate objects of the same type I'm thinking.

[EDIT]

Same thing happens in the Name setting which all objects have, but it for sure is only if done on the same object back to back and not another object between. I put in 2 spotlights and 1 barrel. I can name 1 spotlight "test", then the barrel "test", then it lets me name the other spotlight "test". But if I name 1 spotlight "test" then try to do the other right after it won't let me.

Thanks for letting me know you get the same issue. I'll post a bug report.

i dont have that problem with my scripts because I use the correct syntax for the PROPERTY_BOOL.

In the Info_camera_node script, this line is wrong:

group:AddProperty("starthere","",PROPERTY_BOOL,"Start here")

it should be:

group:AddProperty("starthere",PROPERTY_BOOL,"","Start here")

which is why you get a weird string text box instead of a checkbox for a boolean selection

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Good catch. Seems it's still an issue for text at least (see Name property edit I put above). I'll test it out with some numeric fields to see if it's the same way.

[edit]

The same behavior doesn't seem to happen if it's defined as PROPERTY_FLOAT. Odd it looks like PROPERTY_STRING only has this issue.