LoadScene is very very slow !!!!

Gabriel

Hello

I have a probleme with LoadScene API, if a double click on file sbx, the editor load "scene" and "resources" in only 5 seconds.

With Lua LoadScene() same result +/- 5 sec.

But with the API C++ LoadScene() take 29 seconds ? why ?

The editor use another system to load scene?

If so, I like to use this system because 29 seconds is verry to slow to use this in production game :-(

Gabriel

log.rarI would have put my project but it was 300 mega bytes compressed with rar.

so I just upload the log files, a log is generated via the application written in LUA and the other in CPP.

my compiler is VC10 and the project, but I do not understand there is no diference in the two log files.

if only one is loaded in 30 sec (CPP) and the other in 5 sec (LUA).

I try to console app and WinApp, but not better.

Are you running your C++ app in debug mode and linking to the debug version of the leadwerks DLL? Not that I'd expect it to make that much difference but just a thought. Try running it in release mode.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Hello Mr. Pixel Perfect ;-)

I am in release mode and it is the Engine.dll that is used and not engine.debug.dll

I could check that with the GetProcAddress API that is the right dll is loaded.

I am very bothered by this problem :-(

who gives a lot of thing in question on the use of 3D engine leadwerk.

can be found LoadScene a source code, so I can understand where the problem?

Gabriel

I'd have thought the exact same loadScene function is being called by both Lua and C++ so I wouldn't have thought the issue is in the source code as that will be the same for both. I am using VC2008 and have not experienced any issues like this so I'm at a loss currently to explain what you are seeing.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I found ^ ^ I'm a big idiot or almost, when I run my programe compiled in release mode in VS2010 environment, loading the scene takes 30 sec.

If I run the executable directly without IDE, 5 sec.

I wonder what "micro $" can he do with my particular executable in release mode!

Again thank you for your help Pixel Perfect,

Gabriel

PS: you should perhaps an idea to run a script lua in c + +;-)

That's another good reason to upgrade to CodeBlocks and MinGW 4.6.1. It's super fast in compiling and the produced code is also faster than with VS2010.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I found ^ ^ I'm a big idiot or almost, when I run my programe compiled in release mode in VS2010 environment, loading the scene takes 30 sec.

If I run the executable directly without IDE, 5 sec.

I wonder what "micro $" can he do with my particular executable in release mode!

Again thank you for your help

You're welcome. You might try running your release build using ctrl-F5 (start without debugging) and see if that gets round the issue. Even in release mode using F5 on its own enables some of the debugging overhead.

@ Metatron: can you pls post both compiler arguments for MinGW and VS2010?

Do you mean the IDE setup?

I wrote this tutorial how to setup CodeBlocks for Leadwerks:

http://www.siipi.com/gamelib

I think Theo is referring to a more balanced argument of the pros and cons of using either Mika, not that we'd ever want to accuse you of bias B)

I have used VS2008 and VS2010 for years, but once I tried CodeBlocks and saw how insane much faster it compiles (VS2010 takes 30 sec to compile a larger C++ project, MinGW only 2 secs), I was convinced that CodeBlocks with MinGW is the best solution for C++ programming. Roland had a similar experience, and he has programmed professionally in C++ for companies for decades. Every decent programmer is moving to GNU C++ now, because it supports the latest C++ standards and is much more ISO C++ compliant than any VS C++ compiler. Also Josh found the joy of POSIX compliance :)

Every decent programmer is moving to GNU C++ now

Careful now. Might want to use your words wiser.

Also might want to make sure you are comparing apples to apples in your 30 seconds vs 2 seconds compile situation. There are a ton of features to every compiler and IDE's like to mask all the parameters being passed to a compiler so there is a whole host of situations that could lead to the difference.

You're welcome. You might try running your release build using ctrl-F5 (start without debugging) and see if that gets round the issue. Even in release mode using F5 on its own enables some of the debugging overhead.

héée, that's right CTRL + F5 hoo my gods I had to miss it:)))

course CTRL + F5 in release I only use it;-)

Well, For the little story, I started to prehistoric times of C compiler Lattice C, Microsoft C Workbench, Aztech C, Borland TC1 ......

and I always have the same mental illness, I feel the need to watch the generated code in assembler. difficult to treat this mental illness;-)

Gab

That's why I like Xcode.

I can get involved if you want: D What do you think of Eclipse?

otherwise it remains the VI editor and good old shell and for the twisteds guys, there's always the commande "ed" ^^

josh tell me, thy name is Joshua?

If you have a good memory is the password to enter the "WOPR" of the "NORAD SIOP" ;-)

Gab.

Eclipse is very slow to compile C++ code. I recommend developing your program in Visual Studio or Xcode, and then just using Eclipse to build when you are ready to run on Android. The rest of it went over my head.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That's why I like Xcode.

I think I'd actually use a Mac if I could play more games on it. If I have to switch to another OS to play my PC games then there just isn't any point that I can see to not just use the OS that handles games and everything else. I know more games are being made for both which is nice, but it's probably many years away before it's standard for the big studios to make their games run on both. I mean PC has consoles to compete with too.