body size

cassius

When putting a physics body around a character to be animated is it best to make the body big enough to cover the whole character including sword or other weapon which may be outstretched during an anination or should I just make the body fit the trunk of the character.

Interested to know how others tackle this problem.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I also would suggest just fitting the trunk of the character. If you go with just one body, make it fit the average pose volume of the characters body as tightly as possible, otherwise you'll get collisions when you shouldn't, doors will be problematic to go through, walking on slopes will look weird etc etc..

What you can do next, is a body for each limb or attachment (think rag-doll), if you just move these bodies according to bones, you can get more detailed collision data for you to act properly (and that's the tricky part), or if you just move the bones according to bodies you can get some nice rag-doll death animations, if you also throw in some IK system you can then take this to the next level..

Or if you just don't wan't the sword to go through walls etc, you can make a separate body for the sword, make it follow the swords movement, and when it collides, stop the current animation and blend into some kind of bounce back animation (with sound and particle effects).

You can also render the sword on top of everything to give this illusion (I use this for my FPS guns and it works well, because they don't extend out much, for swords this might not be such a good option)

If you want to perform body part hit detection using raycasts, instead of bodies you can use invisible low poly meshes.

Thanks for rep;ies. I have had some weird results from time to time. Characters with large bodies tend to push along characters with small physic bodies unless I set mass to 0.0 in which case sword fights become static.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

On the other hand. If you have a gun and run up to a wall, the gun will go into the wall if your body is not big enuf... bad bad.. But idk what ur making it for

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

I have been using the cylindrical body a little wider than the trunk of the character. I don't really consider that if she's swinging a sword and it happens to pass through a tree or wall that it is really that immersion breaking.

I tend to agree with this. I've never had issues with a gun or body going into the wall a little bit. If your gameplay is good enough nobody will care, but I do know some people that go crazy when they see that happen.

Do you mean that cylinders would stay rigid when they roll and therefore the character would be stiff rolling over bumpy terrain? I would say that you should never let your body "fall over" and handle it with animations, ragdoll or some combination (no I don't know how to do it, but that is my first thought).