Linked In

Porsche

Linked In is a great way to get started connecting with video game industries. You can start making connections, build an online portfolio and get recommended by each other.

(Josh, I've found and sent a connection request to you already.)

Linked In

Note: Linked In uses full names for obvious reasons.

My Profile:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/porschiey

Also know that this is not an advertisement. I really honestly think those who are working with the SDK could benefit from using this website.

-Porsche

simpleSigPNG.png

Artist, Animator, Musician, P/T Programmer

Dual Core @ 2.6GHz per /nVidia 9600 GT/ 4 GBs DDR3 6800 / XP Pro 32/64 Bit

Photoshop CS3 / 3D Studio Max 8 / VS '08

I think LinkedIn is still too much fire and forget type information like Facebook. I actually use LinkedIn much less than Facebook. Although in Facebook all information is lost, while in LinkedIn they seem somewhat organized.

The best place to keep your customers and friends updated is via your own blog and website. Many blogs are linked by business area to a blog portal, which shows all new blog entries from all people in that business area on one page, for example: http://www.planetlotus.org

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I spoke with Christian Allen, the a lead game designer at Ubisoft, Bungie, and now WB games, who strongly recommended using this site. You can link your blogs and other portfolios from this site. It acts as a bridge between your work and interested companies and corporations.

Edit: This is not just for customers and friends, it's for industry connections. The video game industry is wide spread. There are several different studios that are thousands of miles away. While linking blogs together based off of area is brilliant, one must look at job opportunities in other locations, especially if they pay well and have benefits. Narrowing down your connections to your semi-local area isn't the best idea.

simpleSigPNG.png

Artist, Animator, Musician, P/T Programmer

Dual Core @ 2.6GHz per /nVidia 9600 GT/ 4 GBs DDR3 6800 / XP Pro 32/64 Bit

Photoshop CS3 / 3D Studio Max 8 / VS '08

I think LinkedIn is still too much fire and forget type information like Facebook. I actually use LinkedIn much less than Facebook. Although in Facebook all information is lost, while in LinkedIn they seem somewhat organized.

The best place to keep your customers and friends updated is via your own blog and website. Many blogs are linked by business area to a blog portal, which shows all new blog entries from all people in that business area on one page, for example: http://www.planetlotus.org

I'm gonna go ahead and contradict you on that one.

Facebook is a social networking site. LinkedIn is a professional networking site. On Facebook I talk to friends and family to know what they are up to.

On LinkedIn, I talk to industry professionals about what jobs they are offering, what techniques are working these days and whats going to be happening in the industry within the next few days. There is a dedicated section for just jobs that have been posted on LinkedIn. I've already joined the societies like IDGA, Level UP and GameDev. I've already connected to a Lead Designer who has worked at Red Storm, Bungie and now at WB Games, who coincidentally posted for an opening at WB Games.

Plus LinkedIn has a who profile sections, which is much like a personal resume that potential employers can look at and even download.

As for blogs, I think they are somewhat unprofessional, but that may just be because of the number of nonprofessional blogs out there. My main reason for disliking them is that people have to go to your site to look at your blog, whereas LinkedIn, I could look at your profile as well as someone elses profile all on the same site and I could see how your connected to that person.

Ofcourse, none of this means that I will quit using Facebook, its still a portal to my friends and family. But now that I've discovered LinkedIn, it will be my portal to the professional world.

-Shard

simpleSigPNG.png

Programmer/Engineer/Student

www.reikumar.com

2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - Windows 7 64-bit - 4 Gigs RAM

C++ - Visual Studio Express - Dark GDK - Leadwerks SDK

I'm not saying LinkedIn is worse than your own Blog and Website, but at the moment it's still too less used for most people (as you said yourself, you just discovered it). Currently, when I search on Google for specific keywords on programming issues (or any specific technical things), I almost always end up with a private blog site. That's where the key information is stored on the internet today. Maybe in future Google will also find things from LinkedIn, but it will take years.

Criticism is always a positive thing. Responsivelessness is always a negative thing.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Let's not turn this thread into a criticism of LinkedIn. If you are not a fan, you don't need to participate.

I think there are some tools in werkspace to link to Linked in, but I haven't tried them yet.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Aye, I've been on LinkedIn for a few months now. Its pretty good, and I could see how it could be a great tool to progress your career.

Only thing I don't like is that some people seem to think the aim is to rack up friends. You're only really meant to add people you've worked with seriously and you know you can count on to vouch for you. For that reason I won't be adding anyone here and won't expect anyone to add me. At least until I produce something worth-while and get to know anyone.

Lumooja - LinkedIn is not really the same thing as a blog. I agree with you for the most part, but think of LinkedIn as a dynamic and professional resume/CV. Its a priceless tool once you've got some decent contacts and made a few impressions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009