Sky? How?

myRtu

Hi, I'm new to Leadwerks and basically I was just playing around in Leadwerks, I wanted to edit the default sky a bit, e.g. remove the sun, change the colour a bit, add some mountains etc, I don't want to use my own sky texture since I like Leadwerk's, but I don't understand something.

I found the .DDS file and extracted the .TGA file from it, however only a single image is extracted and I don't understand how the entire Sky is created in Leadwerks, I looked through the .LUA file of the Sky GMF and it only references that single .MAT file. Last time I checked a skybox is made from 6 images, I don't get it? How is the sun, clouds etc all created, don't tell me it's all dynamically generated o.0? If so, epic job, if not where are all the textures specifically the one for the sun because I want to edit it xD

Skyboxes are stored as cubemaps, i.e all six images are stitched together to form a single image. It's possible to extract the six faces from it with the NVIDIA texture tools but you would have to stitch them back together as well before you can use it.

Hey thanks for letting me know, didn't know what a cubemap was. Thanks again can't believe I missed the tool it was so obvious lol, I would rep you +++ if this forum had that system :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I have one more question. Is it possible to make a sun light diffraction effect ? One common for modern games when you see a bright spot of light ahead of any geometry that may screen it partly. With a hdr sky texture or something?