Materials And Texturing Question

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i'm trying to convert one of my models i did for a 3DRAD project over to .gmf...

3DRAD_MercuryInOrbit7.jpg?psid=1

(the space capsule, not the planet)

the issue is that the model is made up of about 10 different parts, each with a different texture...

the modelviewer shows 10 surfaces each with a different .mat file... so i made 10 .mat files...

when i view it in the modelviewer i see only one material across the whole model...

did i do this right, or do i have to convert each part separately (each its own .gmf) and put em together in the editor?

thx

--Mike

what are you using for the conversion Mike? you can have multiple textures on a single gmf... if you want some help send me a PM...

if you are using UU3D, then when you open the model, you should have different groups listed... make sure each group has a texture associated with it under the Material heading... then just save as normal to gmf with 'multiple textures' selected as an option... then you just have to create the different material files for each texture with the file named after the texture and of course calling the texture out in the material file...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Guest Red Ocktober

yes... UU3D... and i didn't select multiple textures...

will look at that later today...

again, you come to the rescue...

thx

--Mike

also, just an fyi in case you do not have it yet, the latest GMF plugin for UU3D also allows for automatic creation of materials files and texture conversions to DDS... it requires that you download the latest uu3d to get it to work.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Guest Red Ocktober

i finally got it into leadwerks... but the placards (United States and the flag) are totally transparent... the words and the flag don't show through...

looks like i've got the wrong shader selected in the .mat file...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

offhand it sounds like you need to use

texture0="abstract::texturename.dds"
blend=alpha
depthmask=0
zsort=1
overlay=1

as the material file

yup... that's what the .mat file looks like...

the trick was using the texture tool and selecting a darkened version of the texture as the mask image... this allowed enough of the colored part of the texture to be seen while allowing some of the background texture to also show...

LW_MercuryCapsule2.jpg?psid=1

--Mike

Wouldn't it be easier to pain the USA texture on the actual texture, because in real the USA text and the flag is also 3D, going up and down the hills of the uneven capsule surface.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Guest Red Ocktober

Wouldn't it be easier to pain the USA texture on the actual texture, because in real the USA text and the flag is also 3D, going up and down the hills of the uneven capsule surface.

i'm using a repeating texture for that part... would've been impossible for me to do it that way... and if you look closely at the image, you can see that the colored parts of the image are translucent enough to allow some of the bumpmapping to show through, giving the same effect that you mention...

i might just make it a lil more translucent so that more of the underneath bumpmap will show... maybe that'll make it more apparent...

--Mike

I would create the bumpmap first, without the flag or text on the capsule texture, then I would add the flag and text to the diffuse map. This would give the same effect you have now, without needing to make one transparent. :D

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

Or you could just take the space capsule texture, and paint the USA texture on top of it, and then use that as USA texture. Then your original space capsure texture is unaltered and can repeat.

Guest Red Ocktober

yeah Rich... the flag texture is a separate texture from the bumpmapped capsule skin...

it uses a different .mat file with no shader stuff...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

is this what you were talking about Mika...

LW_MercuryCapsule5.jpg?psid=1

i had forgotten to add the dot3 file in the .mat for the capsule skin... now the underneath bumpmapped effect makes it seem like what you were describing...

thx for the critique... i knew something wasn't exactly right... you helped me pin down the problem...

--Mike

My critique is still that it's too transparent. The blue background of the stars should be a solid blue, so you really need to hard paint the capsule texture on the USA texture, including bumpmap.

Guest Red Ocktober

My critique is still that it's too transparent. The blue background of the stars should be a solid blue, so you really need to hard paint the capsule texture on the USA texture, including bumpmap.

changing the shade of blue will cure that easily... i'm sure i can tweak it so that the blue is as solid as the white and red, yet the features of the bumpmapped material still predominate, just like it's currently doing in the white and red stripes and the letters...

but thx again...

--Mike