Possible visibility bug in editor?

ChrisV

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but it seems that I cant get the visibility option working in the editor.

I have the latest version of the editor (2.5), but even when I tried it with the previous version, it didn't work. :)

Here's how I tried. I created a terrain (1024x1024), two meters per tile. Sculpted some hills, then whent to the visibility tool, and while leftclicking, I tried to 'carve' holes in the terrain. But, whenever I start using the visibility tool, my terrain completly dissapears. And, the square from the visibility tool gets kinda hazy and fuzzy.

The terrain is still there, cuz when I go to play mode, I can still walk as normal, but I cant see any terrain.

There's also a square visible on the top right of the image which shows up when I look in certain directions.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. ;-)

My system specs:

Vista Home Premium 32 bits

Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4400+, 2.30 Ghz

3 Gig ram

ATI Radeon HD 3800 series

vistool.png

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

This is a known issue. If you upgrade your graphics driver it should fix the problem:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Hi Josh, thanks for the quick reply. :)

However, updating to the latest drivers didn't solve the problem. I already had the latest version, but I uninstalled it (just to make sure), reinstalled the latest drivers again, but that didn't change a thing. :)

Any other ideas?

Thanks

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

I don't think you're using the version 2.5 shaders then, because I have the same card and it was fixed.

I just used the updater to install version 2.5, still no change. Also tried with the LE 2.5 evaluation kit, same thing. The error still remains.

I also noticed that I have directx 11 on my system (due to an update by Microsoft > KB971512), but my graphics card doesn't support this version of directx, I think. Could that cause teh issue here?

Thanks

No, that won't have any effect.

If you look at terrain.frag around line 97 you should see this:

//No idea why this changes behavior:
	height = texcoord0.y;//vertexposition.y;

That's what fixed the bug you are seeing.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

No, that won't have any effect.

If you look at terrain.frag around line 97 you should see this:

height = texcoord0.y;//vertexposition.y;

That's what fixed the bug you are seeing.

Heheheh, that's weird. I remmed that line out, and voila, it works now. Thanks so much, Josh. :)

Just one thing though, if I leave this line remmed out, and save this shader with the games I make on other machines, will this have effect on the terrain been cut out if their graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3800 series?

How can I make sure that it doesnt cause a problem when people play my game on their machines?

I am not clear on what you did. What does your shader look like now?

Ati says they fixed it, so if it isn't in their latest drivers, it should be out soon, and either method will work properly.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I am not clear on what you did. What does your shader look like now?

Ati says they fixed it, so if it isn't in their latest drivers, it should be out soon, and either method will work properly.

I just commented the line of code out that you mentioned in the post above. Like this:

#ifdef LW_RENDERTERRAINCOLORMAP
	height = texture2D(texture15,vec2(texcoord1.x,1.0-texcoord1.y)).x*terrainscale.y;
//#else
	//height = texcoord0.y;//vertexposition.y;
#endif

Cheers