Interior lighting

omid3098

As you probably know, adding 3-4 point light eats many FPS (98 to 48 in my test scene) even if they are static lights.

so doing lighting for interior scenes should be little tricky.. and I need some help here.

here is what I've collected so far:

- Disabled shadow lights: we need some point lights with disabled shadow to use as local ambient lighting. will not get much FPS(48 to 49) but its better than nothing

- if is possible, use spotlight instead of point light in some places

one more thing, all occlusion culling are enabled, average rendered polygons are almost 12k but rendered shadows are 140k is this normal?

any other tips on lighting please?

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

The biggest problem with shadowless lights is the fact that their light goes through otherwise solid objects. So you either set the light range to a very low value to prevent things from looking strange, or you use a very low resolution lightmap. Using lowres lightmaps you now have the problem that it looks strange when you set the light range to a higher value. You just have to play with the lights properties here to figure out what works best for your game environment.

Maybe thats some kind of starting point for you to figure out the best settings for your gameplay, :)

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

actually I checked those methods and as I told in first post, the best way so far is to use spotlight and shadowless point lights.

but there should be another way to use point lights or modified point lights.. maybe :-??

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

@frank: yes, that tutorial describes the best way. and in lower case we should disable shadows. but it affects only in game mode when we have dynamic objects. while the problem here is adding point lights only for static objects. so if you change those light types, no change will be happen.

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

Why not simply using Litghmaps ?

Highly prooven solution ,for big speed improvment caus no GPU or CPU charge, it's already calculated.

Some indie engines allow shaders like normal map, specular on top of normal map, i think it's possible with LE engine !

Stop toying and make games

I use lightmaps too. but can not bake shadows with lightmap because we have daytime change in our level.

(one level is day and another level is night with same models)

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

I use lightmaps too. but can not bake shadows with lightmap because we have daytime change in our level.

(one level is day and another level is night with same models)

There are games using lightmaps , even on night, they just switch the color of the mlightmap , but it remains like day is sun , and night is the moon making the shadows.

If you could change the lightmap color values in real time it won't be a problem to keep them for a Night / Day system.

But if you reach with real time lightening , go for it !

Stop toying and make games