Interesting Powerpoint from CryTek

L B

http://www.crytek.com/fileadmin/user_upload/inside/presentations/2009/A_bit_more_deferred_-_CryEngine3.ppt

Nice features to look at, including improved SSAO with normals. I always wondered, why is our SSAO so strict? Appears to me it only covers the edges, not a wider area, like in CryEngine.

Of course, there's a lot of talk about GI in there, but I think Josh might just as well pop the head of the next person who asks for it.

You can use ray tracing for almost everything related to lighting. It always was the best solution to the lighting equation in my opinion, but CPU ray tracers were always very slow.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Nice find!

I always said bumpmapping and specular lighting should be used in shadowed areas too. (IBL, see slide 17-19)

And I wonder why they didn't use the normals from the normal maps for the ssao from the beginning (slide 14).

They probably did, but then disabled it so they could have something new for CryEngine 3.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

CE2 got some unfinished features like dynamic occlusion maps. It's a function in the editor which is a bit hidden and not always working.

I'm curious if there will be the possibility some day to use some kind of dynamic/static lightmaps on a low end rig and have all the shader and dynamics on a high-end PC.

All these current gen engines are lacking of visual fidelity if it comes to setting others than medium.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments