Steam and Leadwerks

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

has anybody ventured down (or anywhere near) this path yet?

if so... how would i go about following you :)

thx

--Mike

You start by having a near finished title. :) I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but if it's not anywhere near finished, they don't want anything to do with you.

Get a near finished title and then look into steamworks. Beyond that, it's all behind an NDA.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

One would think it would be more efficient to fit their API into your game as you go along so it kind of sucks that you have to basically finish your game and then fit their API into your game after the fact. Not sure what harm it would be to just give the API as I'm sure there is some activation thing that has to happen for it to be connected anyway.

Guest Red Ocktober

that's what i'm trying to find out... if you just add a dll at the end... or if you've gotta build around the api from the jump...

--Mike

Well no, keep in mind, steamworks doesn't do a whole lot. The steam overlay and all that stuff works automatically on ANY game run via steam (remember, you can launch non steam games via steam). Steamworks is primarily just achievements and VoIP. Both of which are trivial to add to a code base. Giving that out to everyone would be ridiculous, considering that functionality uses and runs ON steams servers.

Remember, getting published on steam isn't just an added API. That's the easy part. Valve actually does marketing and such for your game, as well as helping you polish your game and such. It's a big investment on their part. If they are going to provide support via an API that integrates into steam as well as marketing and experience...It makes a heck of a lot of sense to want a near finished product to work with. It shows you actually have something you might finish. Otherwise they're going to get a huge influx of half finished games with authors that lose interest. That costs Valve money.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

The achievement system is what I would think you'd want to know how their API works around. I mean everyone could come up with a million different ways to do an achievement system and I would think Valve's API would have some kind of structure that one could use around the achievement system and knowing how their API works or is structured might influence how you build your achievement system so it's nice and integrated. Maybe it's so modular that it wouldn't cause you to rewrite some pieces in one's implementation of an achievement system though.

Guest Red Ocktober

i was really interested in finding out how the mechanics whole drm process is integrated into a game that is wholey licensed and played via steam...

i'm looking at whatever steamworks docs has to offer now...

--Mike

i was really interested in finding out how the mechanics whole drm process is integrated into a game that is wholey licensed and played via steam...

i'm looking at whatever steamworks docs has to offer now...

--Mike

Which unfortunately, no one can tell you. It's all behind that NDA.

@Rick: Again, it's really trivial to add to your code base at a later time. In terms of code, they are not major features. Take Torchlight for example. They integrated steamworks in less than a week (as well as fixed a bug list a few miles long, which I'm pretty sure took up most of that time).

As long as you aren't using their dedicated servers, I thought it would be as simple as putting placeholders where the Steam API for Achievements would go.

Pseudo code that fires an event, causing the player to get an Achievement

if (PunchedALynxInFace > 60)
{
//Call Steam API (I honestly don't know how it works)
//Steam.AddAchivement(Steam.CurrentUserID, this.GameID, enumsAchievements.AnimalAbuser)
}

As long as you aren't using their dedicated servers, I thought it would be as simple as putting placeholders where the Steam API for Achievements would go.

Pseudo code that fires an event, causing the player to get an Achievement

if (PunchedALynxInFace > 60)
{
//Call Steam API (I honestly don't know how it works)
//Steam.AddAchivement(Steam.CurrentUserID, this.GameID, enumsAchievements.AnimalAbuser)
}

That's pretty much all it is. As mentioned, it's trivial to add it. :) There's no reason to release the API for that until you're ready to actually get something on steam.