File Formats

Matrix

The Leadwerks main page has only this picture, but you can probably guess what it means (I recognize only the dae and blender icon :():

models.png

Out of my mind, I can remember that it has tools to import the following file formats:

mesh: fbx, dae, x, 3ds, b3d, obj+mtl, 3dw

texture: png, bmp, jpg, tga, tiff, gif

sound: ogg, wav

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I have actually found that page (and all those icons) as totally misleading.

Unless current version have changed (in which case I will stand corrected), with regards to models, LE only imports .gmf. All the other formats need converting beforehand. The same goes for image formats, with .dds. Most people I know have bought an external piece of software (UU3D) to handle this conversion process.

The website graphics says it import from any modelling package on the planet (or words similar)... which is true, if you have converted it!

Like I said, things may have changed, in which case a newer user will notify.

Unless current version have changed (in which case I will stand corrected), with regards to models, LE only imports .gmf. All the other formats need converting beforehand. The same goes for image formats, with .dds. Most people I know have bought an external piece of software (UU3D) to handle this conversion process.

The website graphics says it import from any modelling package on the planet (or words similar)... which is true, if you have converted it!

Nothing has changes regarding that.

LE2 accepts GMF and DDS. Nothing else

AV MX Linux

You both got your terms wrong. LE2 doesn't IMPORT gmf, but it LOADS it. LE2 IMPORTS all those formats I listed via the official supported tools which come with the SDK. Of course with 3rd party tools like UU3D and Blender your import format arsenal expands to hundreds of formats.

Out of my mind

+1 ...

it has tools to import the following file formats:

mesh: fbx, dae, x, 3ds, b3d, obj+mtl, 3dw

texture: png, bmp, jpg, tga, tiff, gif

That should read: "the SDK has some basic/command line tools to convert the following file formats"

My guess a rewriting of the term "import" will now follow lol

EDIT: or in this case precede ....

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

You both got your terms wrong. LE2 doesn't IMPORT gmf, but it LOADS it. LE2 IMPORTS all those formats I listed via the official supported tools which come with the SDK. Of course with 3rd party tools like UU3D and Blender your import format arsenal expands to hundreds of formats.

I know that LE2 LOADS gmf and dds. No one has said anything else.

The point is that it does not accept anything else but GMF and DDS as input, right.

Then there are tools for converting to GMF and DDS, but LE2 still only accepts GMF and DDS.

How can that bee wrong :)

AV MX Linux

The OP was only asking what LE2 IMPORTS, he doesn't care in what format LE2 then finally loads them, as every engine has its own propretiary format :)

+1 ...
:D

well, its true ... you certainly are.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

well, its true ... you certainly are.

Yes, but that's a good thing, isn't it? (Even that sentence proves it)

OK. Lumooja. If the user don't have any interest in the pipeline (=amount of work) to get the files into the engine I guess you are right.

It's just the opposite, he wanted to know what he can import, that is the 2nd step in the pipeline.

The first step is to export it from your modelling software, or buy it ready.

What LE2 then finally loads and how and from where, is the last step of the pipeline.

Anyway this discussion is totally silly and trivial. I don't have time to correct your mistakes in terms the whole day, I have a game to finish :)

Yes, but that's a good thing, isn't it?

Not in your case, as it overrides your ability to give a non disingenuous ambiguous response to a query to allow you to infer something but when pulled up on it allows in your eyes only an avenue to continue to claim you have been forthright and correct.

Why not simply say the LE2 editor has no inbuilt functionality to import and use models which are not in .gmf format or textures which are not in the .dds format, however the registered SDK does come with some rudimentary tools (some are only command line) which can convert ........... to the required formats.

As Roland pointed out, maybe the OP was trying to get a feel for the pipeline.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

When a new user asks a question regarding what formats they can import into the engine they are quite naturally referring to what file formats can simply be loaded directly by means of either placement in a directory and subsequent recognition by the tools or via a file load dialog. To interpret that in any other way is simply ridiculous.

Leadwerks supports loading of its own proprietary file format .gmf only and restricts textures to .dds only. There are, as people have pointed out, a series of converters to produce .gmf files from a range of popular file formats. Models for use in vegetation layers then have further restrictions placed on them by having to follow a formal naming convention as do textures used for terrain painting all adding to the work needed upfront to make these available to you the user in the editor.

I personally believe it's worth this downside for all the benefits you get with this engine... and it is a great engine, but it’s never been popular with users of the engine be it artists or programmers.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I've seen other mature engines which do exactly the same, they use a single format to load, and leave all other formats for import only. That is the only right way to do it, since putting multiple load formats into the engine would only bloat the engine size and memory footprint, and only one format can be technically the fastest. There is no such thing as multiple formats would load as fast, as there is always a difference.

Leadwerks supports Autodesk FBX and Collada, so you can load 3D models from just about every 3D modeling program on the planet.

All the modeling programs pictured are supported because they all export .fbx or .dae files, and the Leadwerks Engine SDK includes a tool to convert .fbx and .dae files to the internal format used by the engine.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I have to agree with this, at first glance those icons would indicate to any reasonable person that LE2 natively supports all of these formats. Low and behold I buy the engine and find out I need to convert all these file types to LE specific formats. Not a big deal really but Yes! it is misleading.

I agree, those pictures are a bit misleading as there are only two programs as far as I know, that support export of *.gmf. Ultimate unrap3d and 3ds Max. The exporter for Max is brilliant and works nearly every time, even sets up the material lua and physics files. UU3d can export *.gmf, but I have always had major difficulties getting the materials working properly.