send message

Rick

Do I send messages via the lua entity table or can I send messages directly to the LE model? When I loop through the main world entities I want to send a message to one and then receive it, but from what I see it looks like those messages are via the lua entity. Does the ReceiveMessage() function get fired if I send a message through the LE model?

It will get fired no matter where you sent the message from.

SendEntityMessage in C/BMX, model:SendMessage() in Lua.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

You can use that as well. I just prefer the OO approach when possible :D

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

SendMessage is a native BMX method exposed to Lua for TEntity types and derivatives.

-----

-----

-----

SendMessage will remain in place to make sure existing code is supported. However, I think in three months no one will ever use it. It's easier just to do what you want to do to the lua table.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think SendMessage() can still serve a purpose. I'm thinking of using it to control animations. In my scripts, when I'm moving a character model, before I set the movement in action I would send a message to the character telling them to play the walk animation. Then when DoMoveTo() comes back I would stop the walk animation.