Strange Error

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

Unable to convert from TVec4 to TVec4... that's the error message i'm getting...

this is the offending segment of code withthe error popping up on the last line...

If topColor=Null Then topColor=Vec4(0.2,0.3,0.4,0.86)
     If bottomColor=Null Then bottomColor=Vec4(0.14,0.22,0.3,0.98)
     GAME.fw.renderer.SetWaterColor (topColor,bottomColor)

what am i missing here...

(this worked in 2.31)

--Mike

the commands for water in bmax do not appear to need 'fw.renderer' any more... just use 'SetWaterColor'...

i am seeing something strange as well at the moment... I have a scene with water that was created with the editor that has the waterplane object inserted. It looks fine in the editor and also when I use a lua standalone script to load the scene... but whenever I load the same scene in a simple bmax program, the topside of the water is just grey... underneath the water looks fine... but the entire top surface is just a solid grey... do not really understand what the issue is at the moment...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

well there is something messed up with the water right now... Josh made changes to the water concerning:

-Fixed water saturation/contrast/brightness bug.

-Fog now appears on water.

but I see absolutely no changes in the framework bmx files that I have for 2.41 and 2.42... maybe i dont have the latest files, but since my password doesn't work I cannot verify that... Did Josh forget to give us the latest framework files?

macklebee's channel

the new water.frag file in 2.42 is causing the problem in bmax... not quite sure why it works in the editor/lua and not bmax though...

it has to do with the uniforms contrast/saturation not being set to a value... if you set those to a float value of 1.0 then the shader allows the top surface of the waterplane to actually render... but then that screws up the so-called fix for the saturation/contrast/brightness bug for 2.42.... :rolleyes:

macklebee's channel

Guest Red Ocktober

my issues are worse than that... none of the BlitzMAX code works anymore when i moved it up to the newer releases...

simple c++ code seems to be problematic and doesn't work from one release to the next...

i've resynched and restarted from scratch... working with unadulterated libs and code... still no joy...

a lil daylight from some generic sceneloading BMax code... just trying to figure out why i'm getting this friggin Unhandled Exception error when pointlights or spotlights (still not sure exactly which are causing the error) are in the scene...

--Mike

If anyone posts source code I can run that demonstrates an error I will try it out. Nothing has changed in the way the API works in any recent version.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober

If anyone posts source code I can run that demonstrates an error I will try it out. Nothing has changed in the way the API works in any recent version.

thx...

in the meantime... would it be possible to make public the framework renderer properties (waterpatch in particular)...

--Mike

thx...

in the meantime... would it be possible to make public the framework renderer properties (waterpatch in particular)...

--Mike

The code is in the BMX folder?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober

The code is in the BMX folder?

no, no, no... the c++ framework folder... that code...

seems as if i try to access the renderer's waterpatch (in c++) it complains about me trying to access a private member...

thx...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

The old C++ Framework code is no longer distributed. It was built into the engine some time around version 2.3.

that's too bad... for me anyways...

i needed to move the water around a bit... oh well, guess i'm stuck with 2.26 if i want moving water...

see attached pic LW 2.26 with moving waves... look out Crysis! :)

--Mike

post-65-0-81752500-1305334050_thumb.jpg

The whole Framework thing has been the weakest point of LE2 because it was originally intended for everyone to write their own renderers with, and when no one knew how to use it, something had to be done quickly.

The API is not an issue for me (assuming this was also directed towards the problem I posted), but rather the fix for the saturation/contrast/brightness bug inside the water.frag file causes the top of a waterplane to render as solid grey in bmax. It is because inside the water.frag file there is no value for the contrast and saturation being set but yet you are using those to calculate the output color.

If you need a simple bmax program just to load an editor scene with a waterplane object script, I can provide one. I just didn't think it was going to be necessary since it is easily replicated, but if you need one I will post it with the bug report.

macklebee's channel

fair enough... yes its a strange one because I dont have the issue in the editor nor a standalone lua script that just loads a scene... but basically use the same code in bmax and it fails to work correctly. Confirmed by two others using their own code as well.

macklebee's channel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Red Ocktober

anything happening with this...

or am i gonna have to scrap all by BMax code and move over to c++...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

There was a bug report filed on this that got resolved.

k... thx...

lemme look again...

--Mike