Questions on LOD now and in the future

I know that you can determine the LOD (level of detail) with distance from camera. But what I was wondering what if you want alot of characters in a level. Imagine a crowd of zombies chasing you. They may all fall in your highest LOD and slow the fps. Can you now or maybe in Le3 would it be possible if there were 30 characters in camera view, all 30 may be in the range of your highest LOD but instead only make the closest 10 characters high LOD and the other 20 low LOD.

I think the answer is in your own question Dan. Create some code that counts the number of visible NPCs and if over a certain number then dynamically determin and set the LOD distance such that you get the spread you are looking for. Not sure how effective that will look though if you are seeing LOD changes up close!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I think, you just can try to set lods distances closer...

Well, what about perfomance - i dont know: you should run through all zombies and check their visibility and distance to player, or maybe have something like a stack to hold closest zombies...

Try your methid - its interesting for me also, if this can give you a boost.

PS: also, you can try to change lod distanced dynamically, depenngind on the number of zombies shown on the screen (no need to cacculate closest ones)

Working on LeaFAQ :)

• 2 weeks later...