occlusion culling issue with LE 2.4

remi666

Hello everybody,

We have noticed a strange behavior of Leadwerks in the 2.4 versus the 2.3 concerning the occlusion culling:

On 2.3 version, when we checked the "occlusion culling" option in LE on imported objects, we noticed a higher framerate when the object was behind other objects (because it was killed by the GPU with the occlusion culling algo I guess).

Now, with the 2.4, it does not work.

You will find attached an exemple: if you stay in front of the cube (with all the sphere behind):

- you will see in 2.3 version around 1000 polys if occlusion culling is enabled

- you will see in 2.3 version around 20.000 polys if occlusion culling is disabled

- you will see in 2.4 version around 20.000 polys whatever the occlusion culling status

Nota: to have the Properties menu of an object, I add the following scipt in LE 2.4 for this object:

require("scripts/class")

local class=CreateClass(...)

...and in "Appearance", I check "occlusion culling".

The same behavior has been observed by compiling an other scene, by using LE 2.3 C libraries versus LE 2.4 C libraries....

thanks in advance for a quick answer

occlusioncullingtest.rar

LE 2.3 has also only frustum culling, but no occlusion culling.

I tried to make my own occlusion culling with EntityVisible() and the HideEntity() if it's not visible, but unfortunately EntityVisible() is horribly slow and doesn't bring a better FPS.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Hello Lummoja,

I do not understand why you mention that "LE 2.3 has also only frustum culling, but no occlusion culling.". To me, LE 2.3 has both, and I posted an example in the bug tracker, where you see a discrepancy of the framerate and polys computed with a gmf file using the occlusion culling (enabled)

Remi