Networking Server without Rendering

Rekindled Phoenix

Is it possible to update the graphics / physics in a world without needing to visually display anything?

I'm programming a Server / Client Network library to share with the community, but it seems I must have a render window. Someone on the old forums created a Multiplayer LE server where you controlled a sphere and knocked other players off. That only used a console window, which proves that it's possible...

If so, could you paste some example code?

You can load physics meshes (.phy) without loading the actual visual meshes (.gmf) but you will still need to call Graphics() and thus need a SM3.0 capable card.

I'm confused. So you can load models in memory, but in order to instantiate them in the virtual world you have to call Graphics()?

I specifically remember Aggror's Server only running in a console.

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/topic/1242-ball-game-example-third-person/

How did he get it to work???

No, you can't call Leadwerks methods (as far as I know) without calling Graphics(). If it is possible to call Leadwerks methods without calling Graphics() it sure ain't the body commands so you would not be able to run physics.

Plus, Aggrors code does call Graphics().

Cheers!

Leadwerks Engine 2 requires a shader model 3 graphics card. There may be some 3D commands you can call without creating a graphics window, but it's not supported.

The renderer in version 3.0 is being abstracted out, and a no-graphics renderer for dedicated servers will be provided. Your code will do something like this:

SetRenderer( DedicatedServerRenderer() );

And then you can run your normal program calling all 3D commands, with the same results, and no graphics card is required. Of course you won't be able to see anything on the screen, but since it's so easy to switch renderers you can develop your server with graphics on to debug it, then switch to no-graphics mode.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That is wonderful news. I'm really glad the new API will be abstracted so that dedicated servers may run in a production (non-rendered) setting. Not to mention future updates to the engine can use whatever renderer they want! This would allow you to choose physics engines, and give the user much more flexibility.

Thank you for your prompt reply Josh