Two quick questions

bigkahuna

Hi,

I'm brand new to Leadwerks and have two quick questions:

1. Where can I find a complete list of specifications for LW?

2. I read in a thread started at the beginning of the year that an "ocean" shader was in the works. What's the progress on this? Is there a demo or screenshots available? Will it support buoyancy? Boat wakes?

Thanks,

BigK

1.) www.leadwerks.com

2.) There is a ocean shader in the works for LE3. The current lake water has also boyancy and waves, so it will be in the ocean water also.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I searched everywhere on www.leadwerks.com but couldn't find a specifications list anywhere. There's a brief gloss-over of feature categories on the front page, but other than that all I'm seeing is the gallery, system requirements and EULA.

Regarding the water situation, by "waves" in the lake water shader, are you referring to animated normal / bump maps? If so, that's not what I'm looking for. Any status update on the "ocean" water feature?

Thanks.

Can you specify more specific what you mean with specifications? There is a feature list, and there is a command reference in the Wiki. I don't think it's needed to explain how things work internally, as they might change anyway. As long the commands do what they are supposed to do, it should be sufficient. What could be done however, is a list of known limits. I made something similar earlier, but about key features: http://siipi.com/public/mika.nsf/blogs/2AAC3EECC888AC57C22575F7004ADC16

The lake water waves are physics based, so all objects sway on the water, although it might be solely the boyancy effect too. However, in the old ocean water objects were also moved by the waves, which was also physics based. You could probably use the old ocean water still, or wait until you get the new ocean water in LE3.

The only features page I found looked like this:

screenshot20101001at104.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

... but the Wiki command info is more like what I'm after.

Where can I find info on the "old" ocean shader? I haven't found info on the buoyancy commands, are they listed on the wiki also?

Also, I couldn't help but to notice that although Lua is listed as a supported programming language, it's not listed on all commands in the Wiki. Does that mean Lua is only partially supported?

Lastly, according to the info in the wiki only mouse and keyboard input are supported. Not joysticks or gamepads?

Sorry to be so inquisitive. :)

Thanks.

• The old ocean water is found in LE 2.23
  • The Byoancy commands are listed under the Body commands
  • Lua is fully supported, the Wiki might not have been fully updated yet. Usually the members update the Wiki.
  • You can use SDL directly in LE (drag and drop the SDL.lib into your VS project), that way I have done Joystick and PS3 SixAxis support in my game. It's basically only 3 lines of code (SDLInit, JoystickInit, ReadJoyAxis).

I've made some progress with a new ocean water implementation. It was made by running a fluid simulation and recording the data. There are still some challenges left to make it work in LE3, but I think the results will be right. The quality is very good.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.