[Theoretical] Extruding terrain

L B

I have a crazy load of ideas possible if extruding terrain was possible. (i.e. not only a heightmap).

Now I know this is possible with modeling, but the process is tedious and kills all creativity or productivity. You can't experiment and see what you like in the editor.

So, in theory, would there be a possible way of doing that? I read some references to CE and voxels, but I'm not sure. Anyone cares to develop?

The Editor scene will be usually good only for initial game scenes, since when you add some dynamic content to your scenes, you need to load/save the dynamically moved objects anyway. This happens already when you implement a simpe savegame/loadgame function. You can use Blender or 3D-Coat as terrain editor, since then you can also do 3D terrain sculpting, and you can place the terrain pieces in Editor.

I hope LE3 will have a decent 3D terrain editor like Crysis or C4, since it really lacks behind in that part.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

The Editor scene will be usually good only for initial game scenes, since when you add some dynamic content to your scenes, you need to load/save the dynamically moved objects anyway. This happens already when you implement a simpe savegame/loadgame function. You can use Blender or 3D-Coat as terrain editor, since then you can also do 3D terrain sculpting, and you can place the terrain pieces in Editor.

I hope LE3 will have a decent 3D terrain editor like Crysis or C4, since it really lacks behind in that part.

I hope as well, although I can't say it "really lacks behind".

Besides, using a 3D modeling program won't let me preview in real-time what my scene would look like.

I thought about doing something like this. I think the best results will be if you use voxel-based modeling that merges with the terrain, the way Crysis did. This is the kind of thing I would hire a third party programmer for to write the algorithm.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I thought about doing something like this. I think the best results will be if you use voxel-based modeling that merges with the terrain, the way Crysis did. This is the kind of thing I would hire a third party programmer for to write the algorithm.

That would be great, perhaps LE4 :)