Scene doesn't have shadows in game

L B

I'm posting this in General Discussion as this has nothing to do with programming.

My #1 scene, Three Bridge (the one in every Aerora screenshot), decided to stop rendering shadows from the directional light in 2.32.

It renders them in-editor, but not in-application.

This at first would seem I have done something wrong in my coding - however, another scene, loaded the same way, has shadows on its directional light.

I made all the directional light settings the same across scenes. It shouldn't be in this either.

Therefore:

-Shouldn't be about the coding, Scene 2 displays fine with same code.

-Shouldn't be about the light settings, Scene 2 displays fine with the same settings.

-Shouldn't be about the dependencies, Scene 2 displays fine with the same files.

Any idea? This is getting utterly annoying.

using Leadwerks;

public static class Base
{
private static void Main()
{
	try
	{
		Engine.Initialize();
		Framework.Initialize();
		Filtering.Optimize();
		FileSystem.Initialize(@"C:\Program Files\Aerora");
	}
	catch (LeadwerksException e)
	{
		Debug.Alert(e);
		Engine.Terminate();
	}

Framework.Effects.VolumetricLighting.Enabled = true;
	Framework.Effects.Bloom.Enabled = true;
	Framework.Effects.DepthOfField.Far.Enabled = true;
	Framework.Effects.DepthOfField.Far.Range = new Range(50, 700);

Scene.Load("abstract::Three Bridge.sbx");

while (!Window.HasRequestedClose)
	{
		/* Camera Code, not relevant {...} */

Timing.Update();
		Framework.Update();
		Framework.Render();
		Graphics.Flip();
	}

Framework.Terminate();
	Engine.Terminate();
}
}

I copied the shaders.pak from a clean installation of LE2.4.

Also, since I see shadows in scene 2 but not in scene 1, with the same code and dependencies (exe at same location, same abstract path), I doubt it's a shaders problem.

In that case I would post a demo that demonstrates the problem.

Since I can't isolate the problem, does that imply posting my 740MiB of data, unencrypted and not ready for distribution?

Isn't there a simpler way?

I don't have enough information at this time to even guess what the problem could be.

This sentence from the Particle Shadows tutorial made me wonder if I had my files right:

"The last step to make this work is enabling colored shadows on the directional light. Select the directional light and open the properties editor. In the light properties you will find a checkbox to enable colored shadows. Set this to True and press Apply."

I do not have a "Enable Colored Shadows" checkbox, only a Range option (which is new, as far as I know?). Is it me who is outdated (I just updated 5 seconds ago from LESDK.exe), or is it the files for this tutorial that are not ready yet?

nope i have the enable colored shadows checkbox from the download i did last night... so it sounds like maybe you did not update your Entities folder?

You had me there, I indeed hadn't. I updated the Lights and Environment folders now, and can indeed see the option.

But I still have my problem.

Scene 1 (directional light shadows gone, but point light shadows work)

scene1.jpg

Scene 2 (all working)

scene2.jpg

The more I think about it, it has to be a problem with the SBX file, since all other variables are constant.

Any wild guess is appreciated :P

you could always try to delete the directional light from the scene (taking notes on the settings), save the scene with no directional light, and then add a new one back into the scene and save again. Perhaps a parameter is not being set correctly... :P

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel