Array in a class

AggrorJorn

The titel is perhaps a little overdue to the actual problem. Here is the situation. I am working on my Gui and it is time for me to create a dropdown button. (you might have notice the status update ;))

I want to create this Gui so that it is really easy accesible and easy to understand for everyone. Basicly said: a Dropdown button actually exists out of multiple normal buttons (with normal, hover and mousedown mode). What I hope to achieve is something like the code beneath.

dropdown1 = LuaGui.CreateDropDown(2) -- number of rows is filled in as a parameter
dropdown1:SetImages("abstract::normal.dds","abstract::hover.dds")
dropdown1.row1:SetImages("abstract::normal.dds","abstract::hover.dds")
dropdown1.row2:SetImages("abstract::normal.dds","abstract::hover.dds")

As you can see, row1 and row2 members of the dropdown button that is created.

In the Gui code itself I have this:

function LuaGui.CreateDropDown(rows)
       local o = {}
       setmetatable(o, LuaGui)

--rows
o.row = {}	
for n=1,rows do
	o.row[n] = LuaGui.CreateButton()--Create a basic button for every row.
       end
       return o

Any suggestions?

I guess I forgot to mention the most important part to make this topic in the first place: it doesn't work.... ;)

But you helped me out again. It has to be dropdown1.row[1] instead if dropdown1.row1. I figured that the Gui code would place the number just behind the row. Which, after reading this line, doesn't make much sense.

The actual problem is solved but suggestions, comments, constructive critism are all welcome. It might put me to some ideas.

Thanks for the help Rick +1

It's not a bad design, but I don't think it's flexible enough. If someone wants to add rows on the fly this doesn't seem to account for that.

I would drop the parameter which you seem to be using to tell how many are in the table. Use something like the below if you need to loop through the table:

for index,value in ipairs(t) do

print(index,value)

end

Then maybe make an AddButton() method that will add a button to the next index in the array (you can keep this count in a variable to the class if you like, although I would make they keys in the table a name of the button so people could retrieve the button from the table by name later if they so wish. So AddButton() would take a parameter which would be the string name to call the button in the table).

Just to frustrate you a little bit further Aggror: :)

To have a really nice dropdown, it also needs a container with a background image and a slider (another image) so you can scroll through items.

post-79-039534400 1280130248_thumb.jpg

desktop: Quad core Q6600 + 4GB + ATI HD4890 + XP

laptop: Dual core T6400 + 4 GB + NVidia 9600M GT + Vista 32

ey guys!

Yes there are many flaws to the gui design. Not just this dropdown button but the Gui in general. But I am just seeing how far I can get with squirming around and trying stuff out. I have the principle of OOP in my head with this Gui, but it isn't really used yet.

As for the:

for index,value in ipairs(t) do

print(index,value)

end

I'll give it a go! :)

@ cocopino. You are right, that should be added as well. But then I should let people have the ability to create panels as well. I am afraid it would take me little to much time to find this out. I want to focus merely on the things that I can do (and understand). Still, thanks for the reminder.