Josh, Can I Expect Anything On The Water Front...

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i can implement the waves... what about a lil bit of improvement in the surface refraction when looking into the water and up from a submerged position...

also... what is the timeframe we're looking at for the first signs of 3.0...

--Mike

Tessellation makes so much sense for waves. I know a way to get really fast high-quality waves, but we're going to have to find some company that writes fluid simulations and have them make the data for us.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober

yeah... yeah... all that being true and all... what are the people with project deadlines supposed to do in the interim...

like i said above... i can add waves and such... what about an interim improvement in the refeaction effect... something to bring it up to some sorta acceptable level of appearance...

and as asked above about 3.0... about when can we expect to see any signs of that...

--Mike

There's nothing wrong with the refraction effect. If you want it to be different than it is now, you need to edit the shader yourself. It isn't hard to change the amplitude of the refraction and the scale of the refraction texture mapping, but it's your responsibility to change if you want the look to be different.

I can't say when 3.0 will be available because I don't know when production will start, because there are factors outside my control.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober

Nothing Wrong With Refractions!!!!

just take a look at the attached screenshots... the first two are of LW water refractions in action, circa version 3.1...

the last wo are from LW water circa version 2.23...

you can see what the water reflections and refractions look like from above and from below the water...

now take a look at those and then tell me there's nothing wrong with the new water refraction... are you honestly gonna try and convince me that the new stuff looks better than water we had over a year ago in LW...

come on J... the new stuff looks like jelly...

ok... if i still can't convince you, then could you please tell me how i can mod the current shader to get the old reflection and refraction effects...

--Mike

post-65-12751566099166_thumb.jpg

post-65-1275156626034_thumb.jpg

post-65-12751566378526_thumb.jpg

post-65-12751568009431_thumb.jpg

The only difference is the amplitude and texture scaling of the effect. The second shot uses a different texture for the water normal.

Guest Red Ocktober

The only difference is the amplitude and texture scaling of the effect. The second shot uses a different texture for the water normal.

k... i'll play round with it... is there any reason why the amplitude in restricted to 16 in the editor... what i mean is, can i exceed that without causing the world to end...

--Mike

Yeah, you can actually just edit the script to raise it. The only reason is it limited is that if you make the numbers too high, the slider gets hard to use.