Multiple scripts and inheritance

Josh

17 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the resulting behavior should be?

• Entity turns +1
    • Entity turns -1
    • Entity turns +1 then -1 (no net change)

If you guys haven't realized yet, the correct answer is option 3.

I also thought first option 2 would be correct, but I was wrong and corrected my mistake.

With option 3 you have entity oriented programming AND object oriented programming.

EOP executes attached 3D scripts as they are.

OOP uses programmatical ways to include scripts to inherit from and to override (using the require statement).

This is the best option as it allows the most options.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

my vote is to not pursue this lua scripting thing any farther... leave it as it is... don't abandon framewerk, produce a general purpose loascene() function (with process scene functionality), and give us a programmers guide for making editor friendly objects we can make in c++, bmax, c# whatever...

don't waste time recreating what has already been done... don't waste time implementing programming logic rules into a scripting system that will only serve to implement rules that already exist in other class capable languages that LW can exploit with a lot less work...

I don't think that would have fit on the poll :) Let's play within the bounds of the poll.

and the availability of game objects that would've come from the various developers would've been more than enough to provide even the most non coder artist type with a rich library of functionality from which he/she could've chosen from...

providing a guide for developers on how to create a c++, bmax, (or whatever) game object (code class and model) that the editor could 'see'... and Leeadwerks would've been ready for prime time...

[edited]

That's what he doing now. Just with Lua instead of C++ because I think I remember Josh saying Lua is easier for non programmers to work with in case they need to make changes or even try coding themselves. Plus the whole no compiling step is big.

But I did agree with that 100% until I tried Unity. The power of scripting can't be denied. It makes for a much faster experience. Recompiling C++/BMax every time compared to scripts running isn't even a close contest in how much time is saved.

The thing is if you want the code functionality running in the editor, it takes a system in place get that to work. It's easier to do that with a scripting language than with C++.

This was all talked about though when he decided on Lua. I'm pretty sure I was in your camp with the C++/BMax object thing. I was very against scripting as well, but more against Lua because it's typeless and I think that leads to crappy coding. I'd still like the scripts to be in C++, but .NET is close enough and provides so much more functionality than Lua.

EOP executes attached 3D scripts as they are.

OOP uses programmatical ways to include scripts to inherit from and to override (using the require statement).

This is the best option as it allows the most options.

Having both is actually the ideal, (because why limit yourself) but it does add complexity if doing it with Lua. It doesn't have to, mind you, with something like C# as the scripting language though :)

I really need to get my little example up and running with this. I need to take like a week vacation and get it going. It'll help show how cool this is in action.

C# is more of a marketing trick of Microsoft than a real language. I would avoid it at all costs.

lol it's so fun that you ever cry against "C# The Devil". I think that Microsoft chose very good implementing a language so simple and powerful as C# and on the contrary I dislike enough C++, but it's only question of different views.

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

And spend a good chuck of time waiting on compiling and making tweaks and recompiling, etc, etc. It's just faster to get things just right with scripts than compiling. Really the cool thing about the C# scripting way is that it compiles on the fly right after you save the script. It does it in the background in a few seconds so it's transparent.

There is no need to load source files, you load compiled and optimized binary machine code files.

I agree, there is no need. There is a want.