steam id

Rick

Is there a steam ID we're able to get to uniquely ID people? I assume there is but how is it promised to be the currently logged in Steam user instead of someone spoofing it? There are multiplayer games through Steam that don't require a logon and I'm curious how that process works and if we have access to it in our own system?

Not sure if you're a Steam partner but there's some relevant reading here: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/auth

I think the short story is that Steam tries in several ways (between authentication and VAC bans as deterrent) but you can always hack something with enough time/skill/information so just do the best you can and don't worry about the rest.

Oh, and SteamUser()->GetSteamID() is the specific command to get the unique ID.

Session Tickets and the Steamworks Web API

User Authentication

The following steps detail how to use Session Tickets to verify a user's identity between the user's game client and a secure server:

Ownership Verification

Once a user's identity has been verified, a secure server can use the ISteamUser/CheckAppOwnership Web API method to check if the user owns a particular AppID, or call ISteamUser/GetPublisherAppOwnership to retrieve a list of all user owned AppIDs that are associated with the provided Publisher Key.

Are we able to call GetAuthSessionTicket() from LE (lua)? I don't see any docs about it but this looks like where the process needs to start. I can then send the session ticket to my server to call the API on and validate the user.