Running a dedicated server

Josh

On another server, this is working. On my own server I am getting this message:
Error sending outgoing packets: Operation not permitted

The firewall has the ports unblocked for incoming and outgoing UDP traffic.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I am working on another server now that I redirected a subdomain to. I've got communication working between three programs. However, I originally designed the networking system so that clients and servers are strictly defined, but in order to get the server external IP address, I think the same host needs to connect to the master server and at the same time be able to accept connections from other machines. So that needs to be revisited.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think Steam networking is the right way to go. Building and testing a reliable NAT punch-through system of our own is probably not realistic. There's always going to be a bunch of weird hardware out there I can't realistically test and it will result in angry people who can't connect to a game.

For fast-paced networked games, I think relying on Steam networking is the right choice. That will give us reliable NAT punch-through, voice communication, and server listing with minimal work.

For applications that cannot be run through Steam, for example an enterprise VR collaborative tool, I recommend a relay server.

I am uploading my project here, as it may be useful in the future.

Server.zip