FPS LOW

Yue

The right question, how do I look at the frames per second in a final executable?

When I launch the debugger, I see the information of the FPs, but an executable that is not debug mode, does not have that information.

In release mode I think it is F11 will get you fps but not some of other info, but you can change this a bit if you want some other stats coming out. The bit of code should be in main.lua. You can also set up your own global level debug flag and bind a key to turn it on and of in game to write out messages around your suspected trouble point. Primitive but eternally useful.

Debugging a large level can be a problem but that should be a last resort. Aim to MAKE problems actually HAPPEN early in a simplified test environment (which can still have complex interactions) during mechanics development, and use it to reproduce suspected problem scenarios if found later in large level.   The simplified level should run just fine in debug mode.  

I sometimes  develop on a laptop with integrated graphics and I would suggest that Leadwerks is actually more practical to use in such a setup than most other engines.  Small test levels launch quite quickly and the uncluttered editors are practical to use on small screens.

At some point you probably need to retreat to a desktop to do full level development but you can do a lot of groundwork on a light system.   If your game isn't fun when its in a simple level it may indicate that adding loads of stuff in isn't going to make it any more fun.

I don't need to worry about that though.  My games are never fun!

.....sigh.