Problem using map 4096*4096

Marcousik

Well I encountered problems trying to build an open game environment with map 4096*4096 so that I abandoned my first project.

I'm now trying to explain this maybe I can get help from somebody who succeed with this.

Sorry for my english I'll try to explain the best I can:

First I created a map 4096*4096, added a few paint colors (maybe 4 or 5 first), then I added a few vegetation models and rocks with the vegetation tool. Then I let build the Nav mesh, adding a few new models with animations.

I saved this all and quit.

At the next day, I loaded my work, this was no problem. But after developping the project a few more (the map was "modelled" with maybe only 5% of the entire size) I tryed to save and this failed because a few paint color or vegetation models on the map just disappeared while saving process letting me unable to progress because of being forced to re-create always the same things (for example painted roads).

I begun to get every save try a "exceptoin access violation" or other failures (like "framebuffer_incomplete") letting me think the engine reached his maximum possibility.

Did anybody gets a success with building a 4096*4096 map full with different colors painted and more than one model like we can see somewhere in a performance test video ? Then I can't make a game with 1 or 2 different models...

I saw the map size was about 300 Mo size or little more.

I don't know at the moment if it's a normal thing, a bug or then how are we expected to use the map 4096*4096 and what about people here who asked for 8000*8000 map where I 'm not able to finish a 4096*4096 map in more than one time, I mean I need to trust the way the engine  save/quit/load my map or I have to abandoned the idea.

thx very much for reading please tell me if you think anything that could help me thx.

I begun to get every save try a "exceptoin access violation" or other failures (like "framebuffer_incomplete") letting me think the engine reached his maximum possibility.

You are probably running out of video memory.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Thx Josh, I'm interested on more details about this:

-Do you mean video as different thing as graphic memory yes ?

- How can I mess how much video memory requires my project ?

- make it a difference with this if I have 500 models assets (not necessery placed in the loaded map, but present as asset in the project) or only 50 assets ??

thx for help!

Video / graphics memory, same thing.

I don't know the answers to your other questions.  Your graphics card has a set limit of memory.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. This is an interesting subject! Everybody should stick to 1024 map size then and wait that future Leadwerks version manage the video memory of the hardware it's running on and do streamed loading of the map. (This doesn't seem to be easy to do)

Is there a way to report the video memory usage taken from the current map? Since I have a GTX1080 here, I could go overboard and my map would not play anywhere else! For NVIDIA, I have found SMI GPU tool.