Are game launchers a possibility?

tomis13lack

I will try making a window for it. If i do it this way, is it possible to set system properties (launch options to an extent) from this window for the next window? An example of this would be if i were to make this window with a button that says "Click here for fullscreen" and you click it, could it set the system property "fullscreen" to true?

To be a little more clear, it's all done with one program. The program creates a window with the options and waits for the user's input, then gets rid of that window and creates a new one. It's not two separate programs, one launching the other. It's one program keeping track of the variables then creating the second window using those variables. At least, this can be done in C. I assume Lua can do this as well. Let me know if you'd like to see what it looks like in C and I'll create a quick program for you.

@game collecting this information is generally easier with a nice ui. Since it's a launcher and most launchers are generally just UIs it would be easier, pending knowing HTML/CSS/Javascript, to make this with nw.js. I'm thinking of games like Rust for example that show a drop down of supported screen resolutions, and check boxes for all sorts of settings. All done much easier and quicker with something like nw.js vs doing that in Leadwerks itself given its lack of UI. If you try to do this ui in C you run into cross platform issue and now you have to either know each platforms c ui libraries or find a cross platform library to use. Styling this launcher also becomes a problem doing it that way but with HTML/CSS styling can be anything you want. In modern computing it's just a better choice for tool creation for a lot of reasons.

But yes the added benefit is later it could also easily be used for auto updates as well if desired.

• Upvote 1