Qurious In How Far You Can Go With Leadwerks

MadCat

At some stage I'm going to make a very big game, something in the like Star Citizen and where it going

Lot of detail, lots of models, lots of characters, lots of things to do

Is leadwerks capable of running such a game?

Or would it need to be modified like what Star Citizen did with CryEngine

Apart from the fact that I would be interested to know this as well, it is impossible to make this comparison.

According to their devlogs they already have 13 developers in the engine team, which is dedicated to engine performance and work closely together with the Cryengine devs. Their needs are highly tuned to the type of game they are making.

That said, I do think there is a lot to gain here for Leadwerks, but without someone making a massive project, you can not forsee all the things that are neccesary on such a large scale. from a technical point you could say that Leadwerks supports large scenes, but I know for certain that if you would fill you level up with models and load your map, this would take minutes to load.

From what I have learned in game development school sofar is an engine like Unity5 an handle about 1mil polys

Not to shore about Unreal4 but think it's about the same

I'm making a smaller lead in game for a MMOG that I want to be something similar in the way Star Citizen runs

Big environments, planets & space with as much as I can get into an engine

I know the Devs work together on it and the size of the team that works on it

Was interested if Leadwerks is strong enuff to handle something like that

I think Star Citizen is one of those games where you can fly between planets and it uses a lot of procedural data. A game like that is going to have a complex paging system that loads and unloads data. You won't really have persistent objects in the world and your whole system has to be designed for this type of game. I'm certain they had to make a lot of modifications to build what is basically a custom engine.

95% of games aren't endless worlds, and have more detail and interactions in a finite game level, so most game engines don't try to do this. That design doesn't just add more size, it takes away options so there are other types of games you can no longer make.

One million polygons is nothing, any mid-range GPU will chew through that in real time. If you have procedural planets the engine is generating data with very heavy LOD in a very specialized way. The Star Citizen custom build is extremely good at handling the type of game it makes, but it isn't just a regular game engine with all size and performance constraints removed.

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.