Camera Zoom scale...

Chiblue

I am using camera zoom and I have been playing around with the limits... there does not seem to be any... so does anyone have any suggestions on the relative ratios of each zoom setting...

e.g. when I set the zoom to 10 say, does this equat to 2x, 5x 10x???? or is there a clean calculation to get this??

If it's not Tactical realism then you are just playing..

Only work I have done in magnification calculations is in Astronomy, but there I have focal length, lens magnification and main optics...

So given a zoom value how would I calculate the magnification... I have a sniper scope overlay and the mouse wheel zooms in and out, but I want to display the actual magnification i.e. 1x 2x 16x 50x etc...

I am using Gamelib...And most of the existing properties for zoom, the gamelib property you mentioned allows for switching zoom levels I am already doing that using my own funtions but the issue is I want to show a scale on my sight textures showing a graphic representation on the zoom magnification the actual number is not that important per say, but the critical part I need is to establish a min and max zoom allong with reasonable increments within the graphic scale to show the player the actual or relative zoom they are at.

So I guess the real question is, in a real world example if I set the zoom to say 20 what does this represent in comparison to 1,2,3,4.....19 is it simple 20x zoom level 1 or is there a more complex formula.